DAVIS, Calif. — The UC Davis women’s swimming and diving team took home top honors in 11 of 16 events during Saturday’s final home meet of the 2017-18 season, including three individual wins by senior Courtney Schultz in the 50 free, 100 free, and 200 free. On the boards, freshman Katie Truong finished second in the one-meter program with an NCAA Zone Qualifying score of 270.67 points, helping UC Davis to a 196-102 victory over San Jose State.
Scoring 27 points on the day, Schultz also collected the highest point total of any competitor on the pool deck. Just behind Schultz, with 22 points scored on the day, was junior Eva Chung who posted individual wins in the 200 fly and 200 IM. Junior Kristin Schumann tallied 19 total points on the day with wins in the 100 breaststroke and 200 breaststroke, and freshman Paige Lampron dominated the distance events claiming 18 points and wins in the 500 free and 1000 free events.
UC Davis improves to 5-5 in dual competition and 1-1 in MPSF. San Jose State is now 4-3 in dual competition.
Following a first place finish by the Spartans in the 200 yard medley relay, the Aggies answered back with a 1-2-3-4 finish in the 1000 free with Paige Lampron touching first overall with a time of 10:37.05.
After Schultz’ first event win of the day in the 200 free (1:52.75), junior Solie Laughlin touched second overall in the 100 back with a time of 58.05. Laughlin would also go on to post a second place finish in the 200 back (2:06.41) later in the day.
The Aggies would then string together four consecutive wins across events five through nine: Schumann in the 100 breaststroke (1:05.03), Chung in the 200 fly (2:05.00), Schultz in the 50 free (24.09), and Schultz in the 100 free (51.96).
Then with just two events remaining, Cora McClelland’s first place finish in the 100 fly (57.29) would help boost the Aggies’ lead over the Spartans, 149-75.
Following Chung’s event win in the 200 IM (2:07.25), the quartet of Schultz, Jamie Pincin, Mia Cunnan, and Ali Sena allowed UC Davis to close out the day with a win in the 400 free relay.
On the boards, junior Jessica Fernandez came in second for the 3-meter program with a score of 265.80 points, the highest by an Aggie diver this season, while freshman Amanda Chau posted her season-best score of 239.77 to finish fourth on the day. On the low boards, Truong’s NCAA Zone Qualifying effort placed her second overall while Fernandez finished fourth with her season-best score of 238.35 points.
The Aggies will next look to take on conference colleague Pacific in a dual format competition scheduled to take place on Feb. 3 at 12 p.m. in Stockton, Calif.
SWIMMING AND DIVING DUAL: SAN JOSE STATE at UC DAVIS
Schaal Aquatics Center (Davis, Calif.)
Jan. 20, 2018
1. UC Davis, 196
2. San Jose State, 102
(Winners plus UC Davis student-athletes)
Women's 200 Yard Medley Relay:
1. San Jose State 'A' (Colleen Humel, Shona Spikes, Brenna Bushey, Brittany Heng), 1:44.29; 2. UC Davis 'A' (Solie Laughlin, Kristin Schumann, Cora McClelland, Ali Sena), 1:46.04; 3. UC Davis 'B' (Mia Cunnan, Tori Kaleta, Aislinn Dresel, Jamie Pincin), 1:47.83; 4. UC Davis 'C' (Jordan Owyoung, Kyla Leacox, Laura Lampron, Sophie Murff), x1:49.46; 6. UC Davis 'D' (Vanessa Yeung, Theresa Nowack, Elise Wright, Angelica Nowack), x1:54.16.
Women's 1000 Yard Freestyle:
1. Paige Lampron, UC Davis, 10:37.05; 2. Nina Gonzalez, UC Davis, 10:45.43; 3. Iris Brand, UC Davis, 10:50.65; 4. Hayley O'Brien, UC
Davis, x10:56.59; 5. Gillian Logan, San Jose State, 10:59.03.
Women's 200 Yard Freestyle:
1. Courtney Schultz, UC Davis, 1:52.75; 3. Jamie Pincin, UC Davis, 1:53.71; 4. Olivia Smith, UC Davis, 1:55.13.
Women's 100 Yard Backstroke:
1. Colleen Humel, San Jose State, 56.67; 2. Solie Laughlin, UC Davis, 58.05; 3. Aislinn Dresel, UC Davis, 59.22; 4. Jordan Owyoung, UC Davis, 59.77; 6. Vanessa Yeung, UC Davis, x1:00.61.
Women's 100 Yard Breaststroke:
1. Kristin Schumann, UC Davis, 1:05.03; 3. Tori Kaleta, UC Davis, 1:07.24; 4. Kyla Leacox, UC Davis, 1:07.67; 5. Theresa Nowack, UC Davis, x1:08.41; --. Leah Timmerman, UC Davis, X1:10.61.
Women's 200 Yard Butterfly:
1. Eva Chung, UC Davis, 2:05.00; 2. Cora McClelland, UC Davis, 2:07.04; 4. Laura Lampron, UC Davis, 2:08.68; 7. Elise Wright, UC Davis, x2:13.93; --. Alexa Hanley, UC Davis, X2:16.62.
Women's 50 Yard Freestyle:
1. Courtney Schultz, UC Davis, 24.09; 3. Mia Cunnan, UC Davis, 24.37; 4. Ali Sena, UC Davis, 24.39; 7. Sophie Murff, UC Davis, x25.45.
Women's 3-meter Diving:
1. Cari Reiswig, San Jose State, 333.90; 2. Jessica Fernandez, UC Davis, 265.80; 4. Amanda Chau, UC Davis, 239.77; 5. Angelina Proshak, UC Davis, 232.87; 7. Inessa Toropov, UC Davis, x227.85; 8. Ani Vemury, UC Davis, x223.57; 9. Katie Truong, UC Davis, x222.00; 10. Alisha Miller, UC Davis, x194.17.
Women's 100 Yard Freestyle:
1. Courtney Schultz, UC Davis, 51.96; 2. Jamie Pincin, UC Davis, 52.52; 4. Ali Sena, UC Davis, 52.79; 8. Sophie Murff, UC Davis, x56.11.
Women's 200 Yard Backstroke:
1. Colleen Humel, San Jose State, 2:02.09; 2. Solie Laughlin, UC Davis, 2:06.41; 3. Mia Cunnan, UC Davis, 2:06.82; 4. Iris Brand, UC Davis, 2:17.62; 5. Hayley O'Brien, UC Davis, x2:18.04.
Women's 200 Yard Breaststroke:
1. Kristin Schumann, UC Davis, 2:20.30; 2. Eva Chung, UC Davis, 2:21.79; 3. Tori Kaleta, UC Davis, 2:25.78; 4. Elise Wright, UC Davis, x2:27.61; --. Theresa Nowack, UC Davis, X2:29.25; --. Leah Timmerman, UC Davis, X2:30.92; --. Alexa Hanley, UC Davis, X2:36.08.
Women's 500 Yard Freestyle:
1. Paige Lampron, UC Davis, 5:02.61; 2. Olivia Smith, UC Davis, 5:09.28; 5. Nina Gonzalez, UC Davis, 5:16.29; 6. Hayley O'Brien, UC Davis, x5:16.68.
Women's 100 Yard Butterfly:
1. Cora McClelland, UC Davis, 57.29; 3. Aislinn Dresel, UC Davis, 58.48; 4. Jordan Owyoung, UC Davis, 58.64; 5. Kyla Leacox, UC Davis, x59.60.
Women's 1-meter Diving:
1. Cari Reiswig, San Jose State, 305.32; 2. Katie Truong, UC Davis, 270.67; 4. Jessica Fernandez, UC Davis, 238.35; 5. Angelina Proshak, UC Davis, 233.25; 7. Inessa Toropov, UC Davis, x224.40; 8. Amanda Chau, UC Davis, x219.15; 9. Ani Vemury, UC Davis, x213.67; 11. Allie Autrey, UC Davis, x171.30; 12. Alisha Miller, UC Davis, x165.67.
Women's 200 Yard IM:
1. Eva Chung, UC Davis, 2:07.25; 3. Solie Laughlin, UC Davis, 2:11.23; 5. Kristin Schumann, UC Davis, 2:12.81; 6. Kyla Leacox, UC Davis, x2:13.28; --. Vanessa Yeung, UC Davis, X2:11.53; --. Laura Lampron, UC Davis, X2:13.79; --. Leah Timmerman, UC Davis, X2:16.10; --. Elise Wright, UC Davis, X2:16.85; --. Alexa Hanley, UC Davis, X2:22.55.
Women's 400 Yard Freestyle Relay:
1. UC Davis 'A' (Courtney Schultz, Jamie Pincin, Mia Cunnan , Ali Sena), 3:28.45; 3. UC Davis 'B' (Olivia Smith, Paige Lampron, Iris Brand, Aislinn Dresel), 3:36.47; 5. UC Davis 'C' (Tori Kaleta, Cora McClelland, Hayley O'Brien, Sophie Murff), x3:45.55.
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley. The No. 6-ranked public university in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal, and among the top 10 public universities nationwide according to U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 academic majors across four colleges and six professional schools, ranking among the world and nation's best in numerous disciplines, including veterinary science, agriculture, and animal science programs.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Season tickets for UC Davis men's and women's basketball are now on sale by contacting the Athletics Ticket Office at (530) 752-AGS1 or by visiting us online at UCDavisAggies.com.
- #GoAgs -