Nov. 2, 2013
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -
Junior Katie Fry finished second overall to pace a trio of UC Davis women in the top 10, while sophomore Brandon Pugh finished third to pace the Aggies on the men's side, helping their respective squads to a second- and third-place finish at the 2013 Big West Conference Cross Country Championships on Saturday morning at the Fairbanks Memorial Course in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
"We did not come away with the desired results on either side today, and that leaves us with some areas that must be addressed in the next two weeks before we race the next time," UC Davis Head Coach Drew Wartenburg said. "In a meet like this one, where all the crucial scoring is done right at the front of the field, we allowed some gaps to form in both the men's and women's races, and we were not able to overcome those situations late in the race."
Defending champion Cal Poly swept both the men's and women's races for the second consecutive season, winning on the men's side for the 13th time overall while the women claimed their fourth title in the history of the program.
"Three bodies in the top 10 is typically enough to win any race but a straight up dual meet, but we also knew coming in that the end results would likely look exactly the way they did once the final tally had been taken," Wartenburg said.
Fry covered the course in 21:49.5 to finish behind the Mustangs' individual champion Laura Hollander, who defended her title while setting a 6K course record with a time of 20:43.9. Seniors Alycia Cridebring and Sarah Sumpter finished in seventh and eighth, respectively, separated by three-tenths of a second with times of 22:08.4 and 22:08.7.
"Katie and Alycia both took big steps forward today in terms of where they are, coming from shortened training windows this season, but our back end was just too far from our three frontrunners to close the door," Wartenburg said.
On the men's side, Pugh also paced a group of three UC Davis runners in the top 10, covering the course in a time of 25:27.0, eight seconds off the pace of individual champion Chris Frias of Cal Poly (25:19.5) as the Mustangs finished 1-2-4 to help claim the crown.
"We had a great effort by Brandon to move and stick up front on the men's side, and Grayson got forward but did not have the company that we needed for our team's race plan to materialize," Wartenburg said.
Junior Trevor Halsted finished eighth in a time of (25:42.9) and senior Grayson Hough (26:11.3) was 10th for the Aggies, who improved on their fourth-place finish from a season ago and scored 40 points fewer.
Junior Will Melton (26:26.7) and sophomore Amar Dholakia (26:30.8) finished in 16th and 17th, respectively. Sophomore Jordan Rushing (26:57.5) in 26th, sophomore Nick Ratto (26:57.6) in 27th, senior Nathan Strum (27:14.4) in 32nd, and sophomore Eric Neill (27:35.4) in 40th, rounded out the UC Davis group.
"Our men and women came away with some positives upon which we can build as well as some good information regarding the tasks before us when we square off against these same teams and a host of other quality squads in just under two weeks," Wartenburg said. "Throughout this season we have adopted the goal of competing well in November, and while today did not follow the ideal script, both teams will be ready run amok at the NCAA West Regional at home in Sacramento.
"The West Region remains one of the deepest and most quality regions in the nation, and a large number of teams will racing for national berths over 10,000 and 6,000m at Haggin Oaks."
2013 BIG WEST CONFERENCE CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS
Team Scores - Women
1. Cal Poly - 1-6-9-10-11-37
2. UC Davis - 2-7-8-12-15-44
3. UC Santa Barbara - 3-4-16-19-20-62
4. Long Beach State - 5-24-27-33-36-125
5. Cal State Fullerton - 21-26-29-30-41-147
6. UC Riverside - 17-25-31-37-48-158
7. UC Irvine - 28-35-38-39-40-280
8. Cal State Northridge - 34-47-52-54-57-244
9. Hawaii - 50-53-56-59-60-278
Team Scores - Men
1. Cal Poly - 1-2-4-11-14-32
2. UC Santa Barbara - 6-7-9-12-15-49
3. UC Davis - 3-8-10-16-17-54
4. Long Beach State - 5-21-24-33-35-118
5. UC Irvine - 13-22-28-30-34-127
6. Cal State Fullerton - 23-31-32-38-40-164
7. UC Riverside - 19-36-37-39-46-177
8. Cal State Northridge - 47-50-51-52-53-253
Individual Results - Women (Winner plus UC Davis finishers)
1. Laura Hollander (Cal Poly), 20:43.9; 2. Katie Fry (UC Davis), 21:49.5; 7. Alycia Cridebring (UC Davis), 22:08.4; 8. Sarah Sumpter (UC Davis), 22:08.7; 12. Shannon Harcus (UC Davis), 22:30.6; 16. Christine Hoffmann (UC Davis), 22:57.0; 19. Erika Barr (UC Davis), 23:04.7; 23. Raquel Lambdin (UC Davis), 23:27.6; 28. Anna Welsh (UC Davis), 23:45.7; 36. Hannah Kirkegaard (UC Davis), 24:11.3.
Individual Results - Men (Winner plus UC Davis finishers)
1. Chris Frias (Cal Poly), 25:19.5; 3. Brandon Pugh (UC Davis), 25:27.0; 8. Trevor Halsted (UC Davis), 25:42.9; 10. Grayson Hough (UC Davis), 26:11.3; 16. Will Melton (UC Davis), 26:26.7; 17. Amar Dholakia (UC Davis), 26:30.8; 26. Jordan Rushing (UC Davis), 26:57.5; 27. Nick Ratto (UC Davis), 26:57.6; 32. Nathan Strum (UC Davis), 27:14.4; 40. Eric Neill (UC Davis), 27:35.4