Nov. 15, 2013
Men's 10K Results | Women's 6K Results
SACRAMENTO -- Senior Alycia Cridebring finished 19th overall to pace the women while sophomore Brandon Pugh was 34th to lead a pair Aggies in the top 50 in the men's 10K to headline the UC Davis men's and women's cross country teams on Friday at the 2013 NCAA Division I West Regionals at the Haggin Oaks Golf Course in Sacramento, Calif.
On the women's side, top-ranked Arizona remained undefeated on the season, claiming the team title by 10 points over runner-up Stanford, while the Cardinal took home the men's title, edging second-place Oregon by 11 points.
The Aggie women finished seventh overall among the 27-team field and were the highest-finishing Big West Conference school in the race, placing ahead of Cal Poly, which was eighth, by 38 points.
Coming off a seventh-place individual finish at the Big West Conference Championships back on Nov. 2, Cridebring crossed the line in a season-best 6K time of 20:08 among a field of 225 runners as all seven UC Davis runners posted season-best 6K times on the day. Cridebring was followed by senior Sarah Sumpter in 30th (20:21) and junior Katie Fry in 41st (20:35), while sophomore Christine Hoffmann in 57th (20:49) and freshman Hannah Kirkegaard in 74th (21:01) rounded out the scorers for UC Davis. Junior Raquel Lambdin in 103rd (21:26) and senior Shannon Harcus in 108th (21:30) rounded out the Aggies' lineup.
Boise State's Emma Bates was the individual champion with a time of 19:11.
On the men's side Pugh crossed the line in a time of 30:37 to pace the Aggies while Halsted also finished among the top 50 in the 187-man field with a time of 30:46 to place 46th as UC Davis finished 13th overall as a squad in its first 10K race of the season, just 18 points back of California and one point ahead of Arizona.
Nick Ratto was UC Davis' next-highest finisher in 82nd with a time of 31:38, Will Melton finished 87th in a time of 31:40, and Amar Dholakia was in 119th with a time of 32:14 to complete the Aggies' scoring group. Grayson Hough rounded out the lineup, finishing in 122nd with a time of 32:20.
Oregon's Edward Cheserek was the men's individual champion, completing the course in a time of 29:35.
Predetermined by the coaching staffs prior to the season, Friday's race also served as the head-to-head battle between UC Davis and Sacramento State for points toward the 2013-14 Causeway Cup presented by ScholarShare. Thanks to their finishes on Friday, the Aggies swept all 10 points for the sport of cross country, as the women finished ahead of the Hornets in 16th place while the men also outdistanced their Sacramento State counterparts in 18th place. UC Davis, which has won five of the first six meetings with the Hornets during the fall, now leads the year-long athletic competition, 27.5-2.5.
More information on the Causeway Cup presented by ScholarShare is available here: http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/ot/causeway-classic-1314.html.
2013 NCAA WEST REGIONAL CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS
Haggin Oaks Golf Course - Sacramento, Calif. - Nov. 15, 2013
WOMEN'S 6K RESULTS
Team Scores - Women (top five teams plus UC Davis)
1. Arizona - 8-9-10-12-45=84
2. Stanford - 3-6-20-26-39=94
3. Oregon - 14-17-25-31-33=120
4. San Francisco - 21-22-24-35-38=140
5. Washington - 4-23-42-43-50=162
7. UC Davis - 19-30-41-57-74=221
Individual Results - Women (winner plus UC Davis finishers)
1. Emma Bates (Boise State), 19:11… 19. Alycia Cridebring (UC Davis), 20:08… 30. Sarah Sumpter (UC Davis), 20:21… 41. Katie Fry (UC Davis), 20:35… 57. Christine Hoffmann (UC Davis), 20:49… 74. Hannah Kirkegaard (UC Davis), 21:01… 103. Raquel Lambdin (UC Davis), 21:26… 108. Shannon Harcus (UC Davis), 21:30.
MEN'S 10K RESULTS
Team Scores - Men (top 5 teams plus UC Davis)
1. Stanford - 2-3-6-12-30=53
2. Oregon - 1-5-13-18-27=64
3. Portland - 4-15-16-22-35=92
4. Boise State - 7-14-17-25-54=117
5. Arizona State - 19-28-38-39-60=184
13. UC Davis - 33-45-81-86-116=361
Individual Results - Men (winner plus UC Davis finishers)
1. Edward Cheserek (Oregon), 29:35… 34. Brandon Pugh (UC Davis), 30:37… Trevor Halsted (UC Davis), 30:46… 82. Nick Ratto (UC Davis), 31:38… 87. Will Melton (UC Davis), 31:40… 119. Amar Dholakia (UC Davis), 32:14… 122. Grayson Hough (UC Davis), 32:20.