March 14, 2013
Fri., Mar. 15 - 30 min. following first game (Bannerwood Park)
Spencer Koopmans (So., RHP, 0-3, 7.41) vs. Garrett Anderson (So., LHP, 1-3, 3.10 ERA)
Sat., Mar. 16 - 1 p.m. OR Sun., Mar. 17 - noon (Bannerwood Park)
Evan Wolf (Jr., RHP, 1-0, 2.42) vs. Kyle Doyle (So, LHP, 2-0, 4.12 ERA)
• UC Davis plays just its second road series of the season, a three-game set that has the date and time of its final game tentative because of weather concerns... Orginally scheduled as a single games Friday through Sunday, the series will now begin with a doubleheader on Friday and one game either Saturday or Sunday.
• The Aggies enter the week hitting .302, just one of two teams in the Big West currently hitting better than .300... UC Irvine is the other, batting .316... UC Davis, however, is on the opposite end of the pitching charts, currently 10th with a 5.92 ERA.
• 1B/DH Nick Lynch is hitting .386, third-best in the conference while 2B Steven Patterson is 11th with a .351 average.
• With 190 career hits and 613 at-bats, 3B Paul Politi needs just six of each to break into the top 10 of those respective lists... He needs three doubles to move onto that chart.
• OF Mike Mazzara is tied for second in the Big West with six doubles.
• UC Davis has scored 100 runs, third in the conference.
• Matt Vaughn is in his second season as head coach for the Aggies but is in his 21st year with the program overall... The 1992 UC Davis alum pitched for the Aggies from 1989-92, then stayed on as an assistant and associate head coach... Besides serving as the head coach, he is also the pitching coach... Vaughn directed the Aggies to a 28-30 overall record and a 12-12 (5th place) mark in the Big West in 2012... He is 33-39 overall.
• Donny Harrell is in his fifth year as head coach of the Redhawks, coming to Seattle University after four season nearby University of Washington... He led Seattle to 23 wins last year, up from the 21 the team captured the year before... Harrell also served as the assistant coach at Oregon State in 2003-04 following seven seasons as the head coach at Lane Community College (220-90 record).
A BRIEF LOOK AT SEATTLE UNIVERSITY
• The Redhawks enter the weekend series with a 6-11 overall record, having won three of their past four games... Their only loss in that span was a 1-0 setback to Portland last Saturday.
• The teams share one common opponent in the University of Washington... The Aggies took three of four from the Huskies while the Seattle lost a 4-2 matchup on Mar. 5.
• OF Sean Narby leads the team in batting average (.369), runs (16), hits (24), doubles (8), triples (2), stolen bases (3), and is tied for the team lead in RBI's (12).
• LHP Kyle Doyle has two wins, tops on the team while RHP Eric Yardley has a pair of saves... The pitching staff brings a 4.17 ERA into the series.
THE LAST MEETINGS
• UC Davis won two of three games at Dobbins Stadium last year, winning 5-3 in the opener and 3-0 in the finale.
• The Aggies lead the all-time series, 2-1.
AND THEY CALLED IT THE STREAK
• 3B Paul Politi opened the season with a nine-game hitting streak which extended his streak going back to last year to 19 games... He was held hitless in the opener at Oklahoma State on Mar. 1, bringing the streak to an end.
TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES
• The Aggies are doing a good job of cashing in runs when the chances permit themselves overall... They're hitting .328 (65-198) with RBI opportunites but prior to going 8 for 19 against Nevada on Tuesday, were just 10 for 58 (.172) in their previous seven games.
• UC Davis enjoyed a high-water game of .538 (14-26) against San Jose State on Feb. 20.
• The Aggies are also hitting .350 (70 for 200) with two outs including a .524 mark against the Spartans.
PATTERSON MAKES IMMEDIATE IMPACT
• San Joaquin Delta College transfer 2B Steven Patterson hasn't wasted much time making his presence felt with the Aggies... He's already hitting .351, second-best on the team, with 20 hits in 57 at-bats while picking up 10 RBI's.
• Patterson's already collected six games with two hits each and one (Nevada) with three...He has also scored 10 runs, third-best on the squad.
• He was a California Community College Baseball Coaches Association All-America selection last season.
WOLF HOWLS PUT AGGIES BACK ON TRACK
• RHP Evan Wolf has been a stopper in a starting role for UC Davis over the past three weeks.
• The Aggies had at least two-game losing streaks going into his last three starts and each time they've come out with a win.
• Wolf is 1-0 in the span with a 2.33 ERA... He earned his win against Utah, scattering six hits over seven innings and allowing just two earned runs.
• Wolf gave up just one earned run in five innings at Oklahoma State and allowed just two in 7.1 innings against CSU Bakersfield last Sunday... The latter also featured Wolf setting the side down in order in four straight innings.
AGGIE HITTERS ABOVE .300
• UC Davis is hitting .302 so far this season, second-best in the Big West Conference... That figure has been helped by seven players who have at least 20 at-bats and are hitting .300 or better.
• That list includes 1B/DH Nick Lynch (.386), 2B Steven Patterson (.351), OF Austin Logan (.350), 3B Paul Politi (.329), SS Evan Heptig (.321) and OF John Williams (.300).
HOPING TO TURN AROUND PITCHING FORTUNES
• The Aggies enjoyed a 3.56 ERA over their first five games this season while not allowing more than five runs in any of those matchups... Opponents didn't get more than nine hits in any game.
• UC Davis has felt the opposite end of the spectrum as of late, posting a 8.13 in its last seven games... Opponents have scored ast least 10 runs five times in that span and had at least 10 hits in five games.
STRONG STARTS, STRONG IN THE MIDDLE
• The Aggies have gotten out of the gates in a hurry, scoring 18 runs in their first at-bats, their second-best inning of the season.
• The fifth through seventh innings have also been productive, with 19, 17 and 18 runs, respectively, making those frames productive.
CORDY SEEING PLENTY OF ACTION
• RHP Max Cordy has been involved in several late-game situations for the Aggies, having factored in the pitching decision in five of his eight appearances.
• Cordy has a team-high three saves and has posted a 3-2 record... His wins and his saves are both team-highs as are his appearances.
BRUISING THEIR WAY TO FIRST BASE
• UC Davis batters have been hit 30 times so far this season, including a school-record tying eight times against San Jose State early in the season.
• 1B/DH Nick Lynch leads the team with five while SS Evan Heptig and DH/INF Tino Lipson have each been hit four times.
• UC Davis was hit 100 times last year, ranking sixth in Div. I.
ALL-BIG WEST RETURNERS
• UC Davis returns a pair of All-Big West honorees in senior 3B Paul Politi and junior 1B/DH Nick Lynch.
• Politi earned the honor after being the only Aggie to start all 57 games and leading UC Davis in average (.346), hits (79), RBI's (32), doubles (13) and home runs (3).
• Politi brings a 10-game hitting streak into the opener after ending the 2012 season on a tear.
• Lynch made his first season with the Aggies a big one, starting 40 games, primarily from the designated hitter position.
• He hit .302 with a .450 slugging percentage - the latter placing him among the Big West leaders... Lynch also had eight doubles, a triple and four homeruns.
• The Aggies also had two other All-Big West honorees in LHP Anthony Kupbens and C Scott Kalush, both who graduated.
AGGIES PICKED EIGHTH IN BIG WEST
• UC Davis was picked to finish ninth in this year's Big West Preseason Poll conducted among the league's head coaches... The Aggies, who were fifth in the 2012 final standings, were voted ninth in last year's preseason poll.
• Cal State Fullerton received nine first-place votes and was the clear favorite for this season's banner with 99 points while UC Irvine (one first-place vote) was second with 82 points... Long Beach State (75 pts), Cal Poly (68) and UC Santa Barbara (58) round out the top five.
• Big West newcomer Hawai'i (57), UC Riverside (38), Cal State Northridge (34), UC Davis (25) and Pacific (14) occupy the final spots.