UC DAVIS FOOTBALL SUNDAY NOTEBOOK - Week 1
No. 24/22 Oregon 53, UC Davis 28
Autzen Stadium (Eugene, Ore.)
Attendance - 53,187
• QB BEN SCOTT’s 300-yard game was the third of his career and first since 2014… He finished 27-47-1 for 303 yards… His completions are tied for second-most in his career while his attempts tied a career-high (47 vs. Nevada, 9/3/15)… His 9-yard rushing TD that gave UC Davis an early 7-0 was the second of his career.
• RB Manusamoa Luuga had a career-high three touchdowns, eclipsing the two he had against both Northern Arizona and Cal Poly last season… He’s the first Aggie RB to score three rushing TDs since GABE MANZANARES against Cal Poly in 2014… His 147 all-purpose yards (96 rushing, 51 receiving) are a career-best… With four catches on Saturday, Luuga has at least one reception in 17 consecutive games.
• WR Keelan Doss had seven catches for 116 yards… Both are career-highs, beating his previous-best of four receptions (vs. Portland State) for 77 yards (vs. Eastern Washington) in 2014… It was the third straight game dating back to last season that UC Davis has had a 100-yard receiver (Alex Cannon, 122 vs. Cal Poly; Chris Martin, 115 vs. Sacramento State).
• Three true freshman caught passes in Saturday’s game: TE Wesley Preece (4-28), WR Jared Harrell (3-36) and WR Khris Vaughn (2-15)… Redshirt freshman WR Justin Clarkston (1-36)… CB Bransin Johnson (1.0 sack for 1 yard) and DL Jordan Franklin (1 TT) had tackles in their first games as Aggie redshirt freshmen.
• OL Christian Schneider started his 30th consecutive game on the offensive line but first at left tackle… OL Kevin Gavigan started his 13th straight game at center and OL JULIAN BERTERO started his 16th in a row at right guard.
• The Aggies’ defense posted three sacks for the second straight game after ending with a trio in the Causeway Classic last year.
• UC Davis held advantages in time of possession (37:17-22:43), plays (80-67), passing yards (303-271), sacks (3-2), fewer turnovers (1-2) and punt average (43.2-38.2).
• UC Davis’ 28 points were its most against an FBS opponent since moving to FCS status… The Aggies are now 2-15 in those games (1-5 vs. Pac-12)… Oregon’s 53 points were second-most for an FBS foe in that same span.
• The Aggies fell to 41-52-3 (.443) in season openers and are now 14-24-1 on the road to start a year.
Southern Oregon (0-1) vs. UC Davis (0-1)
Aggie Stadium (Davis, Calif.), 6 p.m.
KHTK (1140 AM) • KDVS (90.3 FM)
LAST GAME FOR SOU - Rival Eastern Oregon upset visiting No. 2 (NAIA) Southern Oregon, 45-40, on Saturday afternoon in La Grande, Ore… QB TANNER TROSIN threw for 360 yards and three touchdowns for the Raiders while WR MATT RETZLAFF had 12 receptions for 166 yards and caught all three of the scores… RB SEAN TOW rushed for a team-high 54 yards on 14 carries… The Raiders won the 2014 NAIA championship and finished second last year.
GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE - UC Davis will unveil a new gameday experience for Aggie fans, featuring the Kickoff Street Party, upgraded concessions, a new outside food policy and postgame field access. More information is available here.
THROWBACK GAME - The Aggies will be celebrating the rich traditions and heritage of Toomey Field by marking next weekend’s game as “Throwback Game”.
TICKETS - UC Davis season and single-game tickets are available by calling the ticket office at (530) 752-AGS1 (2471) or by visiting www.ucdavisaggies.com. Tickets for Saturday’s game begin at $10 for general admission and $13 for reserved.