UC Davis Heads To Idaho State To Face Bengals
Oct. 10, 2012
UC Davis (2-4, 1-2)
Idaho State (1-4, 0-2)
Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012
3:05 p.m. (PDT) • Pocatello, Idaho
Holt Arena (12,000)
KHTK (1140 AM) • www.ucdavisaggies.com
Big Sky TV
• UC Davis makes its first trip to Pocatello, Idaho, facing the second of three new opponents on the 2012 schedule (Azusa Pacific, Northern Arizona).
• The Aggies, playing indoors this week at Holt Arena, are 2-2 inside since moving to NCAA Div. I in 2007... That record is comprised of 1-1 marks versus both South Dakota and North Dakota... They lost 27-24 at USD in 2011 in their last indoor game.
• UC Davis enters this week's game after a heartbreaking 48-41 loss to No. 2 Montana State last weekend... The 41 points were the most in a loss since falling to Bloomsburg (Pa.) 56-48 in the 2000 NCAA Div. II Semifinals.
• Despite the loss, and in spite of a 2-4 record, the Aggies' performance against one of the top FCS teams earned them a vote in this week's national rankings by The Sports Network.
• Thanks to a 70-yard return by KR Courtney Williams last week, the Aggies continue to rank among the FCS leaders in kickoff returns (8th, 26.1 avg.).
• UC Davis' 24 points in the third quarter was its highest total for a 15-minute period since putting up 24 during a 38-point first half against Winston-Salem State in 2009 (W, 45-14).
• DE Nick King is T-12th in tackles-for-losses (1.58 pg) while the defensive unit is ranked 12th nationally (7.67 pg) in TFL's.
• LB JORDAN GLASS' third interception as an Aggie was the charm as he returned it seven yards for his first career touchdown... It helped tie the game against Montana State, 31-31.
• His pick-six was the second for UC Davis this season, marking the first time the Aggies have had a pair since 2007 when CB Adam Cook went 87 yards against Sacramento State and CB Jeremy Scott returned one 38 yards at Southern Utah.
• UC Davis has rushed for at least 100 yards in each of its last two games, the first time that's happened since doing so versus UTSA (135) and South Dakota (122) in the sixth and seventh games, respectively, last season.
• The Aggies are also 0-3 on the road this season and are 1-8 away from their home stadium since the start of the 2011season.
• Head coach Bob Biggs is coaching his final season with UC Davis after announcing his retirement after last season... He is the second-winningest coach (142 wins) in program history, trailing only JIM SOCHOR (156; 1970-88).
ALL-TIME SERIES VS. IDAHO STATE
• The Aggies and Bengals are meeting for the first time but the game is the third in Idaho for UC Davis which lost 44-14 at the University of Idaho in 1997 and at Boise State in 2009.... Current assistant coach Kevin Daft was the quarterback for UC Davis at Idaho, throwing for 207 yards and 2 TD's.
• UC Davis and Idaho State have not shared any common opponents yet but will share four (Portland State, Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, Weber State) by year's end.
• The Bengals are one of three first-time foes on the schedule, the most in a season for UC Davis since facing TCU, Youngstown State, Central Arkansas and San Diego in 2006.
• Bob Biggs (UC Davis `73) is in his 20th season and final season at the helm of the Aggies and his 35th with the program overall.
• He owns a 142-82-1 (.631) overall record and is 65-56-0 (.533) against NCAA Div. I (FBS, FCS) teams... Biggs is also 56-24 (.700) in the month of October, and 62-54 (.539) on the road... He is 0-1 in the state of Idaho.
• Biggs is the second-winningest coach in the history of the UC Davis program, trailing only Jim Sochor whose 156-41-5 record between 1970-88 led to his enshrinement into the College Football Hall of Fame.
• Four of Biggs' QB's have gone on to play professional football, including QB J.T. O'SULLIVAN (1998-2001) and former San Jose SaberCats (AFL) starter MARK GRIEB (1994-96)... Others include KHARI JONES (1991-93) who had a standout career in the Canadian Football League and Kevin Daft (1995-98) who was a reserve on the Tennessee Titans when they went to the Super Bowl XXXIV... Daft is now an assistant coach at with the Aggies.
• MIKE KRAMER (Idaho `77) is 80-88 and in his 15th year as a head coach, posting a 3-13 record while in his second year at Idaho State.
• Kramer brought deep Big Sky Conference experience to Idaho State after serving as the head coach at both Eastern Washington and Montana State where he combined for 54 league wins.
• He's been named Big Sky Coach of the Year three times and won a trio of league titles while at Montana State.
IDAHO STATE SCOUTING REPORT
• The Bengals enter the game looking for their first FCS win of the season and coming off a 77-10 loss at Portland State on Saturday.
• The Vikings led just 14-7 midway through the second quarter but erupted for a 35-10 halftime lead and then added 28 points in the third quarter.
• Idaho State allowed 758 total yards, including 437 rushing and 321 through the air... PSU also had 34 first downs... The total yards are the third-most allowed by an FCS team this season while the rushing yards are 11th.
• QB KEVIN YOST was a bright spot for the Bengals, throwing for 281 yards while WR RODRICK RUMBLE had six receptions for 83 yards.
• Offensively, Idaho State is struggling on the ground, ranking 119th out of 121 teams with a 58.4 average... However, the rankings are nearly flipped in passing with the Bengals ranking fourth (375.2 avg.)
• Yost ranks sixth among passers (337.0 avg.), while WR DEREK GRAVES (T-4th, 9.0 pg) and WR CAMERON RICHMOND (10th, 7.2 pg) are among FCS's leading receivers... Yost also ranks sixth in total offense (337.0 avg.).
• Richmond (81.0 avg.), WR LUKE AUSTIN (76.8 avg.) and Graves (76.5) all rank among the top 35 players for receiving yards.
• Idaho State has had difficulties on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 120th in both rushing yards (351.2 avg.) and total yards (541.2 avg.).
• The Bengals are also 120th in scoring defense, allowing 51.6 ppg... Four of their five opponents have scored at least 49 points, including losses to Nebraska (73-7) and Sacramento State (54-31).
• LB DEMETRIUS ALLEN has 38 tackles, including 17 solo, to lead the defenders and has a half-sack; part of two total sacks for Idaho State.
• DB DONOVAN HENLEY has a pair of interceptions, DB ANTHONY BOYLES has one and LB MITCH BECKSTEAD has 34 tackles.
• P C.J. REYES is averaging 41.4 yards a kick, ranking 32nd nationally.
NEWS, NOTES FROM THE MONTANA STATE GAME
• The 89 combined points between the Bobcats and Aggies were the most for a UC Davis game since Southern Utah's 56-35 win on Oct. 31, 2009.
• QB Randy Wright's 5-yard TD run, capped by a leap into the endzone, was the first touchdown of his career.
• K Brady Stuart's miss from 40-yards in the first quarter snapped five straight made field goals for the redshirt freshman... He's 7 for 8 in his last three games and 9 for 11 overall.
• UC Davis was sacked three times, its first sacks at home this season.
• WR Alex Cannon's 13-yard TD on a reverse during the first half made him the first Aggie this season to both catch and run for a score... He had a 45-yard TD reception at San Jose State.
• UC Davis' 108 rushing yards came against a team that entered the game ranked fourth nationally (63.5 avg.)against the rush.
• LB Steven Pitts forced a pair of fumbles and recovered one while also collecting six tackles and breaking up a pass.
• P Colton Schmidt continued to punt well, averaging 48.2 yards on four kicks while having a long of 54 yards... He also had four of his eight kickoffs result in touchbacks.
• The Aggies rushed for two touchdowns, giving them 11 for the year and tying their total from all of 2011... They've had six touchdowns on the ground in their last three games.
• KR COURTNEY WILLIAMS' 70-yard kickoff return was the longest for UC Davis this season and the team's longest since KR JOE GRAY went 81 yards for a touchdown against Winstom-Salem State in 2009.
• Montana State outscored UC Davis 24-0 in the second quarter only to have the Aggies do the same to the Bobcats in the third.
• The Aggies scored 24 points off four turnovers (3 fumbles, 1 interception).. They also didn't have a drive longer than 4:31 and only two that were longer than four minutes... The Bobcats had a drive that last 4:49 and another that went 4:45... The rest were at least almost a minute shorter.
• WR Anthony Soto's seven receptions were the most for a UC Davis receiver this season.
THIRD QUARTER VS. MSU REVERSES TREND
• Prior to last Saturday, the only quarter where UC Davis had been decisively outscored was the third, with opponents holding a 35-7 advantage.
• That all changed in almost a blink of the eye when the Aggies tagged Montana State for 24 points right after halftime... UC Davis scored the first 17 of those points over a less than three-minute span early in the third quarter.
• UC Davis has been outscored in every quarter except the first where it's done damage to the tune of 51-14.
GLASS BREAKING DOWN OPPONENT'S OFFENSE
• LB Jordan Glass had perhaps his best game as an Aggie last weekend, picking up a career-high 11 tackles, including eight solo... Included in the total was 1.5 TFL's for nine yards.
• Glass also picked up his third career interception as an Aggie and returned it seven yards in the third quarter for a touchdown that helped UC Davis tie Montana State, 31-31.
• His 11 stops bettered his previous best of 10 against Cal Poly last season while his eight solo are also his best as an Aggie.
• Glass is second to LB Byron Gruendl in total tackles (44), tied for second in TFL's (6.0) and is tied for third in sacks (2.0).
PITTS TO MISS SATURDAY'S GAME
• LB Steven Pitts will not play in Saturday's game at Idaho State after being suspended for one game by the Big Sky Conference on Wednesday.
• Pitts was suspended for tackling with the crown of his helmet on a play late in third quarter against Montana State... A total of four players were suspended by commissioner DOUG FULLERTON for games this week.
RECEIVING DUTIES SHOWING BALANCE
• Five Aggie receivers have at least 100 yards receiving this season, led by WR Corey Galindo who has 16 grabs for 286 yards and a pair of touchdowns, all team-highs.
• Anthony Soto (14-146, TD), WR Tim Benton (12-146, TD), TE Taylor Sloat (11-173, TD) and WR Alex Cannon (11-118, TD) are among seven receivers with at least 10 grabs too.
TURAY SCORES THREE TIMES AGAINST WEBER
• FB Dalton Turay not only scored three times during the Aggies' 37-13 win over Weber State on Sept. 29, he tallied them all in the second quarter.
• Turay, who began his career as a walk-on, had a one-yard score early in the period, came back five minutes later to score from five yards, and then had another one-yarder with just over 90 seconds left in the half.
• The last Aggie to score three times on the ground was former QB Jon Grant against North Dakota State (L,28-24) in `06.
FBS TEAMS ON SCHEDULE ONCE AGAIN
• The Aggies faced an FBS team (San Jose State) this season for the seventh straight year... They squared off against the Spartans for the fourth time in that span and are 1-3 in the games. .
• Altogther, UC Davis is 2-8 (.200) versus FBS competition since 2005 with the other win besides San Jose State coming at Stanford in 2005 (20-17)... Other FBS foes included Boise State (2009), Fresno State (2009), Hawai'i (2011), Arizona State (2011) and TCU (2006).
PUNTING GAME A WEAPON WITH SCHMIDT
• The year before P Colton Schmidt arrived at UC Davis, the Aggies struggled mightily in the punting department, averaging just 33.4 yards per kick and have five of them blocked.
• Since then, Schmidt has moved among the elite ranks of all-time punters at UC Davis... He averaged 40.1 yards per kick over his first three years, including a school-record 42.3 yards last season.
• His true freshman year was just as impressive when he averaged 39.1 yards.
• Schmidt entered the year having pinned 56 kicks inside the 20, last year had 13 punts go at least 50 yards, booted a 67-yarder as a freshman and a year later set a school record with a 78-yard punt at North Dakota.
• The school record for career average is well within reach... It's held by Chris Shibel (40.72 from 2001-04).
• He's averaging 42.9 ypg (23rdd in FCS) while helping the Aggies net 39.7 yards (6th)... Schmidt is currently ranked 18th among FCS punters for career average (40.5)... His 210 punts are third-most among active FCS punters.
GOING OLD SCHOOL WITH THE WHITES
• UC Davis has new adidas uniforms this season, including both gold and white pants, and white and blue jerseys.
• Against San Jose State on Sept. 15, the Aggies wore both white jerseys and pants... It's believed (at least according to former lonnngggggtime assistant coach Fred Arp) the first time UC Davis has worn white pants - rather than its traditional gold - in at least the last 45 years.
• The Aggies also wore the all-white attire at Cal Poly on Sept. 22.
VETERANS ACROSS THE OFFENSIVE LINE
• UC Davis returns four-fifths of its starting offensive line from last season with all four returners starting every game they played... T Ian Joseph, OG Sean Davies and OG Jimmy Kunkel each started all 11 games in the season while C Ray Wilburn got the starting nod in all 10 games he played.
WRIGHT MOVING UP TOP 10 LISTS
• QB Randy Wright threw for 194 yards at San Jose State on Sept. 8, pushing his career total past the 5,000-yard mark... He now has 5,868 total yards, passing QB KHARI JONES (5,681, 1991-93) for eighth.
• Wright's 504 completions (5th) and 863 attempts (5th) are already in the top 10 while his 37 touchdowns just tied him for 10th on that list... He needs just 35 attempts to catch Greg Denham (895m 2007-09)
• He's currently ranked 14th among active FCS quarterbacks for passing yards per game (209.6), and 12th for career yards and for completions.
KASPAR GOES HEAD UP AGAINST BROTHER
• DT Anthony Kaspar had the unique opportunity to go head-to-head with his younger brother, NICHOLAS, an offensive guard for San Jose State, when the teams met on Sept. 8.
• The two were lined up across from each other most of the game as they faced each other in an official game for the first times in their careers.
• UC Davis owns an all-time record of 490--372-33 (.577) as it plays its 94th season of football... The Aggies started playing in 1915 and have played continuously except for 1918, and 1943-45.
• A total of 15 head coaches, beginning with R.E. HARMON (1915-16) have directed the Aggies' program with College Football Hall of Fame Inductee JIM SOCHOR (1969-88) winning a program-best 156 games.
• Since opening Aggie Stadium in 2007, the Aggies have gone 17-10 (.629) including a 3-2 mark last season.
• The Aggies are debuting in their fifth conference since 1925 and their first new conference since 2004... They joined the Great West Conference in `04 and were eight-year members of the league along with Cal Poly and Southern Utah who now join them in the Big Sky Conference.
• The Aggies are no strangers to conference success, having won outright or shared 20 consecutive titles from 1971-1990 in the Far Western Conference and Northern California Athletic Conference.
• UC Davis' conference affiliation: Far Western Conference (1925-81), NCAC (1982-92), American West (1993) and Great West (2004-2011).
• UC Davis has four team captains this season in DE Bobby Erskine, FS Kevyn Lewis, C Ray Wilburn and G Sean Davies... Both Erskine and Lewis are injured and not playing.
NEW COACHES WELCOMED TO STAFF
• Aggie coach Bob Biggs welcomed three new coaches to his staff for the upcoming season including one he used to coach.
• Kevin Daft, a standout QB for the Aggies in the mid-1990's who was drafted by the Tennesee Titans in 1999, returns to his alma mater to as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach... Daft was most recently an assistant at Cal.
• WILL COFE joins as a coach on the defensive line... The former Arizona State player and Sun Devils alum came to the Aggies from Pacific University in Oregon where he assisted former Aggie assistant Keith Buckley restart that Div. III program.
• Damaro Wheeler spent the last two years at Div. II powerhouse Central Washington as a graduate assistant and will oversee the Aggie cornerbacks this season... He also brings collegiate experience from Southern Oregon (2007-09).
Football | 10/02/2017
Maier named National Performer of the Week
Football | 09/30/2017
Aggies' offense erupts in rout of North Dakota
Football | 09/29/2017
Inside the Huddle with Ryan Bua
Football | 09/28/2017
Aggies host North Dakota in Big Sky home opener
Football | 09/26/2017
Generating a global perspective through football
Football | 10/07/2017
vs. 10/10Eastern Washington (6 p.m.)
Football | 10/06/2017
Skip the lines, buy your Brewfest tickets today!
Football | 09/23/2017