Falcons Score Early Then Hold On To Defeat UC Davis 2-1

Nov. 7, 2003

Box Score

SEATTLE, Wash. - Jeremy Yerkes and Michael Morris scored first-half goals less than four minutes apart and the Falcon defense survived a late flurry by the Aggies as Seattle Pacific University held on for a 2-1 victory over UC Davis in a men's non-conference soccer game Friday night at Interbay Stadium.

With the loss the Aggies fall to 9-5-4 on the season while the Falcons finish their season at 9-8-2, their NCAA Division II record 33rd consecutive winning season.

Morris came off the bench is the 21st minutes and immediately made an impact. His through ball down the left flank found Yerkes alone with Aggie goalkeeper Nic Platter. A first shot was tipped in the air by Platter but Yerkes headed the rebound into an empty net at 20:53.

Yerkes then set up what proved to be the game-winning goal at 24:41, cutting a pass through the crease. Morris beat Platter to the ball and slammed a short-range shot into the roof of the goal, putting the Flacons up 2-0- midway through the first half.

After several scoring chances by the Aggies came up short, junior forward Ryan Shaw finally broke through in the 73rd minute. He scored his 14th goal of the season by running onto a pass from Nick Bosch and drilling a low eight-year shot past Falcon keeper James Ward.

The toughest of Ward's six saves came against Shaw with 23 minutes let as he dove to make a stop a point-blank range. The Ags nearly sent the game into overtime in the dying seconds, but after a goalmouth scramble, Johnny Yau shot high from 10 yards.

Shaw missed a golden opportunity midway through the first half, smacking a penalty kick off the middle of the crossbar in the 33rd minute.

UC Davis finished with a 21-9 edge in shots, mostly from long range. The Falcons were not credited with a second-half shot as they were frustrated by the Aggie offside trap. Altogether, SPU was flagged 11 times for offside.



IN goal, Platter surrendered both Falcon goals while playing the opening half. Freshman Charles Warne came on the second but did not face a shot.

UC Davis will concludes its 2003 season on Sunday with a 2 p.m. meeting at Seattle University.