STOCKTON, Calif. -- UC Davis doubles teams shined on Saturday, staking their teams to early leads, but host Pacific roared back in singles to make up the deficit and sweep a doubleheader from the Aggies by identical scores of, 4-3, in the season openers for both teams at the Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center in Stockton, Calif.
UC Davis won four of the five doubles contests that finished on Saturday to get the Aggies off to strong starts, opening the day with wins at No. 1 and No. 2, and leading at No. 3, en route to a 1-0 lead in the opener. Freshman David Goulak, alongside partners Tommy Lam and Everett Maltby, finished 2-0 in doubles, while the tandem of Bryce McKelvie and James Wade put away a 6-3 victory for the team lead.
The Aggies then put the Tigers' collective backs against the wall in singles as Goulak gave his team a 2-1 lead in the match with a, 6-4, 6-2, win at No. 6 over Lance Ngo, and McKelvie had UC Davis a point away with a, 6-4, 7-6, victory over Akram El Sallaly at No. 3.
Pacific, however, pushed through with a pair of three-set victories in the remaining two matches to clinch the 4-3 win. Miguel Diaz rallied from a set down for a, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, win over James Wade at No. 2, before Alex Giannini bounced back from a second set loss to defeat Maltby, 7-6, 3-6, 6-2, win at No. 4 to clinch the match.
After a short break, the two teams returned to the court for a quick rematch, and the Aggies, once again, jumped out to the early lead. Goulak and Maltby took home a 6-1 win at No. 3 doubles, but Pacific quickly tied things up with a win at the No. 1 spot. Senior Alec Adamson and freshman Max Pham clinched the point, however, rallying for a 6-4 win over Diaz and Ross Watson for a 1-0 lead in the match.
However, much like the opener, it was the Tigers that came back when it counted in singles play, winning four of the six en route to the 4-3 win. The teams split a quartet of three-set marathons, with Adamson posting a, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6, win over Diaz at the top spot and Lam outlasting Bryan Husin at No. 6, rebounding from a first set loss for a, 5-7, 6-0, 6-4, victory.
UC Davis returns to the court next Saturday (Jan. 21) on the road with another doubleheader, heading to Fresno State to face the Bulldogs and Sacramento State beginning at 1 p.m.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (0-2) at Pacific (2-0)
Jan. 14, 2017 at Stockton, Calif. (Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center)
Pacific 4, UC Davis 3 (Match #1)
1. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Tadiwa Chinamo / Miguel Diaz (PAC), 6-4
2. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Alex Giannini / Ross Watson (PAC), 6-3
3. Alec Adamson / Everett Maltby (UCD) vs. Akram El Sallaly / Bryan Husin (PAC), unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. Tadiwa Chinomo (PAC) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-2, 6-4
2. Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. James Wade (UCD), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Akram El Sallaly (PAC), 6-4, 7-6
4. Alex Giannini (PAC) def. Everett Maltby (UCD), 7-6, 3-6, 6-2
5. Ross Watson (PAC) def. Max Pham (UCD), 6-3, 6-3
6. David Goulak (UCD) def. Lance Ngo (PAC), 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 5, 3, 2, 4*
Pacific 4, UC Davis 3 (Match #2)
1. Tadiwa Chinamo/Alex Giannini (PAC) def. Tommy Lam / Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 6-4
2. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Miguel Diaz/Ross Watson (PAC), 6-4
3. David Goulak / Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Akram El Sallaly/Lance Ngo (PAC), 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
2. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) def. James Wade (UCD), 6-2, 7-6
3. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) def. Everett Maltby (UCD), 5-7, 7-4, 6-0
4. Alex Giannini (PAC) def. Max Pham (UCD), 6-0, 6-3
5. Ross Watson (PAC) def. Jesse Ross (UCD) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
6. Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Bryan Husin (PAC), 5-7, 6-0, 6-4
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors