Jan. 17, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara captured all three doubles matches then took five of six singles matches to defeat UC Davis in its season-opener, 6-1, Saturday at the SCU Tennis Center.
The day began with the Broncos taking the opening doubles point as Erich Chen and Kevin McQuaid cruised to the 8-1 victory over Kyle Trinosky and Ross Barasch in the second doubles match while Taylor Bedilion and Bobby Rasmussen edged Bastian Bartels and Michael Chin by a 8-5 count on court three to give SCU the early lead.
On the main doubles court, the 49th-ranked duo of Gernot Fischer and Eric Kochanski battled to a 9-8 (5) win over brothers Kyle and Casey McMackin, improving their doubles record to 6-2 on the year.
In singles play, Jayce Fitch provided the bright spot for UC Davis as he defeated Francisco Zepponi in three sets, 5-7, 6-2 and 6-1 at No.4 singles.
Fischer and Kochanski won their singles matches despite falling behind after the first set. Fischer rallied to beat Chin 4-6, 6-1 and 6-1 at No.1 singles while Kochanski came from behind for a 0-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over Casey McMackin at No.2
UC Davis will next be in action on Saturday when it travels to Portland to face Gonzaga University.
UC DAVIS MEN'S TENNIS
Santa Clara 6, UC Davis 1
January 17, 2004
at Santa Clara, CA
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Michael Chin (UCD) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Casey McMakin (UCD) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Robert Wong (UCD) 6-1, 7-6
4. Jayce Fitch (UCD) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Bastian Bartels 6-1, 6-3
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Blake Roberts (UCD) 6-1, 6-1
1. Fischer/Kochanski (SCU) def. Kyle McMackin/C. McMackin(UCD) 9-8 (5)
2. Erich Chen/Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Kyle Trinosky/Ross Barasch (UCD) 8-1
3. Bedilion/Rasmussen (SCU) def. Bartels/Chin (UCD) 8-5
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards