Jan. 25, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. - New head coach Eric Steidlmayer earned his first victory as an Aggie Friday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center when his team earned an efficient 7-0 victory in its home opener against the Sonoma State Seawolves.
The victory improves the Aggies' record to 1-1, the Seawolves have now dropped both matches played this season and fall to 0-2.
"After a couple of days filled with a lot of rain, we were excited to have this beautiful day which allowed us to play," said Steidlmayer following his team's sweep.
"We started a little tentative, but ended the day strong and played with a lot of confidence."
By sweeping all three doubles matches, UC Davis earned the first point of Friday's non-conference match. Juniors Parker Kelley and Alec Haley wasted no time in securing their doubles match, defeating Drexler Dy/Ryan Harris 8-1 in what was the first of seven straight Aggie set victories.
Engaged in a spirited contest with Sonoma State's Robert Henry/Davis Hutton, senior Toki Sherbakov and freshman Adam Levie caught fire and won the last four straight games to pull away and post an 8-5 win to score the first point of the afternoon for the Aggies.
While Sherbakov and Levie were shaking hands and congratulating their opponents, freshman Brett Bacharach and senior George Horowitz completed UC Davis' doubles sweep in their 8-4 triumph over Jimmy Manning/Seth Hein.
Once singles competition began, Kelley was the first to finish his match as the Manhattan Beach-native needed only 32 minutes to end his day with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Hutton.
Competing on separate courts next to one another in their respective singles matches, Bacharach and Miller each earned straight-set 6-4, 6-2 victories within a one-minute timespan to officially record UC Davis' first win of the year.
The Aggies will compete in their second match in as many days on Saturday, Jan. 26, in their inaugural Big West contest of the season against Pacific starting at 1 p.m.
UC Davis 7, Sonoma State 0
Jan. 25, 2013 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Robert Henry (SSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Drexler Dy (SSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. David Hutton (SSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Ryan Harris (SSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Vincent Paganetti (SSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Adam Luba (UCD) def. Nelson Hosley (SSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Robert Henry/David Hutton (SSU) 8-5
2. Parker Kelley/Alec Haley (UCD) def. Drexler Dy/Ryan Harris (SSU) 8-1
3. Brett Bacharach/George Horowitz (UCD) def. Jimmy Manning/Seth Hein (SSU) 8-4