Jan. 25, 2014
STOCKTON, Calif. -- UC Davis freshman James Wade posted a straight-set victory at the No. 4 position, but host Pacific swept the remaining matches to clinch a 6-1 win over the Aggies in a non-conference match-up on Saturday at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts in Stockton.
Wade improved to 2-0 in dual match play this season, moving up one spot in the lineup to defeat Ben Mirkin, 6-4, 6-4. It was the third-consecutive straight-set victory for the UC Davis rookie dating back to the fall season, improving to 11-4 overall and 7-3 in his last 10.
He moved into a tie for the team lead in singles victories with sophomore teammate Brett Bacharach, who battled Miguel Diaz for three sets before falling, 1-6, 7-6, 6-4, at the No. 5 position.
The Tigers opened the day by claiming the doubles point for the early 1-0 lead, taking victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Pacific then won the five remaining singles matches -- four of those in straight sets.
After opening the 2014 season on the road, the Aggies kick-off their home schedule next weekend, welcoming Bay Area rival San Francisco to the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday (Feb. 1) at 1 p.m. -- the first of six-straight matches at home.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (0-2) at Pacific (1-1)
Jan. 25, 2014 at Hal Nelson Tennis Courts (Stockton, Calif.)
1. Sem Verbeek/Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD), 8-4
2. Brett Bacharach/James Wade (UCD) vs. Marlon Brand/Daniel Alameh (PAC), 7-7 (unfinished)
3. Erik Cederwall/Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Adam Luba /Kyle Miller (UCD), 8-4
1. Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Kyle Miller (UCD), 6-3, 7-6
2. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Parker Kelley (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
4. James Wade (UCD) def. Ben Mirkin (UCD), 6-4, 6-4
5. Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD), 1-6, 7-6, 6-3
6. Marlon Brand (PAC) def. Adam Levie (UCD), 7-6 (6), 6-2
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards