SAN FRANCISCO -- UC Davis senior Alec Adamson rallied to defeat San Francisco's Ryan Marker in a three-set marathon at No. 2 singles, helping lift the visiting Aggies to a, 4-3, victory over the Dons on Friday afternoon at the California Tennis Club in San Francisco.
The win was the first of the year for UC Davis, which improved to 1-2 overall on the season and clinched its first win at San Francisco in the program's Division I Era. All three of the Aggies' duals thus far this spring have ended in 4-3 decisions. The Dons fell to 1-2 overall on the year with the defeat.
Adamson, playing at the No. 2 spot in the lineup for the first time this season, took the opening set, 6-4, before battling Marker into a second-set tiebreaker that was eventually won by the USF sophomore, 8-6. With UC Davis holding a 3-2 advantage in the match with two singles contests remaining, Adamson shut the door in the third, downing Marker, 6-3, for the clincher.
The Aggies got off to a strong start, claiming the doubles point for the third straight dual to start the spring season. Adamson and Bryce McKelvie put their team out early with a, 6-4, win at No. 2, but San Francisco answered back with a win at the top spot by the same score. That set the stage for the tandem of Everett Maltby and Max Pham, who fought off a pair of match points by Marker and Paul Giraud to tie the contest at six-all, and take the match, 7-4, in the tiebreaker, clinching the doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
Freshman David Goulak made it 2-0 in favor of the Aggies with a straight-set, 6-2, 6-4, win over Christian Brockstedt at No. 5 singles. The Dons rallied for wins at No. 1 and No. 4 in straight sets to tie the match at 2-2 before Pham put away Woravin Kumthonkittikul in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, for a 3-2 advantage, and set the stage for Adamson's clincher.
UC Davis has a bit of a break before its nine-match road trip to start the season continues in Southern California as the Aggies will next take on No. 8 USC on Friday (Feb. 10) at 11 a.m., with matches at San Diego (Feb. 11) and San Diego State (Feb. 12) to follow later that weekend.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (1-2) at San Francisco (1-2)
Jan. 28, 2017 at San Francisco, Calif. (California Tennis Club)
UC Davis 4, San Francisco 3
1. Johan Joenhagen/Mert Zincirli (USF) def. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD), 6-4
2. Alec Adamson / Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Christian Brockstedt/Oliver Poysti, 6-4
3. Everett Maltby / Max Pham (UCD) def. Ryan Marker/Paul Giraud, 7-6 (4)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. Johan Joenhagen (USF) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 6-3, 6-3
2. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Ryan Marker (USF), 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-3
3. Mert Zincirli (USF) def. James Wade (UCD), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
4. Oliver Poysti (USF), def. Everett Maltby (UCD), 6-2, 6-4
5. David Goulak (UCD) def. Christian Brockstedt (USF), 6-2, 6-4
6. Max Pham (UCD) def. Woravin Kumthonkittikul (USF), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2*, 3