LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Sophomore Jonathan Star scored a team point for the Aggies by defeating one of Central Floridas’ players in singles play, but the Aggies eventually fell to the Knights on their last day of the Division I ITA Kick-Off tournament in Los Angeles, Calif.
Central Florida secured the 1-0 lead going into singles play, but the Knights had to fight for the point lead as Aggie tandem Everett Maltby and Ivan Thamma defeated partners Gabriel Decamps and Mikhail Sokolovskiy, 6-4, to make it a tie going into the third doubles matchup.
The Knights got the first singles match win, bringing them to a 2-0 lead; however, Star spoiled the shutout after winning his match against Central Florida’s Eero Vasa in straight sets, 7-6(5), 6-3. Unfortunately, that was the last time the Aggies scored over the Knights that day as the east coast university secured the next three singles match victories to get a final 4-1 score over the Aggies.
After this weekend, UC Davis carries a 1-4 overall record, while Central Florida is 1-2.
The UC Davis men’s tennis team remains at home next weekend as they welcome San Francisco’s team to the Marya Welch Tennis center, starting at 1 p.m.
NCAA MEN’S TENNIS
UC Davis (1-3) vs Central Florida (1-2)
Jan. 27, 2018 at Los Angeles, Calif. (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
FINAL SCORE: UCF 4, UC Davis 1
1. Korey Lovett/Eero Vasa (UCF) def. Tommy Lam / David Goulak (UCD), 6-4
2. Everett Maltby / Ivan Thamma (UCD) def. Gabriel Decamps/Mikhail Sokolovskiy (UCF), 6-4
3. Danny Kerznerman/Alan Rubio (UCF) def. Jonathan Star / Chethan Swanson (UCD), 7-6 (7-5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Korey Lovett (UCF) def. Ivan Thamma (UCD), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Gabriel Decamps (UCF) def. David Goulak (UCD), 6-3, 6-4
3. Alan Rubio (UCF) vs. Everett Maltby (UCD), 4-6, 6-3, 0-3, uf
4. Jonathan Star (UCD) def. Eero Vasa (UCF), 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Mikhail Sokolovskiy (UCF) def. Chethan Swanson (UCD), 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
6. Danny Kerznerman (UCF) vs. Tommy Lam (UCD), 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), uf
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 1*
CONNECT WITH UC DAVIS MEN'S TENNIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
UC Davis Men's Tennis Facebook Page | UC Davis Men's Tennis Twitter Page
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley.
Ranked among the top 10 public universities in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal and U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 undergraduate majors across four colleges and six professional schools, including the world's top-ranked veterinary science and agriculture programs.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Tickets for all UC Davis sports are available by contacting the Athletics Ticket Office at (530) 752-AGS1, or by visiting us online at UCDavisAggies.com.
— #GoAgs —