Feb. 1, 2003
IRVINE, Calif. - The UC Riverside Highlanders defeated the UC Davis Aggies 5-2 at the UC Challenge at the Anteater Tennis Stadium in Irvine.
UC Davis won two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point opening the match. UC Riverside, however, rallied in singles play, winning five of the six singles matches to clinch the victory. Aggie senior Greg Lee was the only double-winner for UC Davis as he and Paul Dilloway earned a 9-7 win at No.1 doubles and then he defeated Derek Betyar in straight sets at No.1 singles.
UC Davis will play the singles portion of a dual match against UC Irvine on Sunday and then face UC San Diego later in the day. UC Riverside will play the singles portion of its match against UC San Diego in the morning before taking on UC Irvine in the afternoon. The UC Challenge will start at 10:00 A.M.
UC Riverside 5, UC Davis 2
at UC Irvine
February 1, 2003
1. Dilloway/Lee (UCD) def. Betyar/Davis (UCR) 9-7
2. Barasch/Trinosky (UCD) def. Stevens/Tam (UCR) 8-4
3. Choppi/Pantapalangkoor (UCR) def. Novikov/Brown (UCD) 9-7
1. Greg Lee (UCD) def. Derek Betyar (UCR) 6-3, 6-0
2. Brent Davis (UCR) def. Kyle Trinosky (UCD) 7-6, 6-1
3. Norman Tam (UCR) def. Nikolai Novikov (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Dan Stevens (UCR) def. Derek Fung (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
5. Paul Choppi (UCR) def. Corey Lum (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jordan Leo (UCR) def. Charles Nuwer (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors