Feb. 2, 2013
PORTLAND - It may have been a different day, but UC Davis nearly achieved the exact same results as its last match as the Aggies swept Seattle 7-0 at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Portland Saturday afternoon.
In the Aggies' previous match against George Fox, the Bruins were only able to win one set throughout the entire day en route to a UC Davis sweep. Even though Seattle was unable to record a point, the Redhawks were able to capture three sets.
UC Davis will now enter the back-half of its four-game road swing through Oregon with a 3-2 record, Seattle is now 0-8.
The victory is the latest in a string of sweeps earned this season by a UC Davis team that has held its opponent scoreless in all three victories.
UC Davis' Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie and Kyle Miller/Alec Haley earned the first points of the afternoon for the Aggies, defeating Will Toop/Zack Kasawe and Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones 8-1 and 8-5 respectively.
Once UC Davis took an early 1-0 lead, action in George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach's match came to a halt, with the duo leading Kyle Rapp and Flavio Macagutti 7-5.
In the round of singles, Bacharach was one of three players who dispatched their Redhawk opponent in a straight-set manner.
In addition to Bacharach's 6-1, 6-2 win over Jason Bediones, Haley defeated Kyle Rapp 6-4, 6-3, with Hugo Verdi-Fortin recording a 6-2, 6-1 victory of his own.
Even though the Aggies' top-three singles were pushed to three sets, all stepped up when it counted the most to win their respective third set, and ultimately, the match.
Sherbakov defeated Will Topp 7-6, 5-7, 6-2 to end his day with wins in both of his matches, as did Miller who downed Kevin Lynch 6-4, 6-7, 6-4.
When Parkey Kelley put the finishing touches on his 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 win Zach Kosanke, the Aggies recorded its second sweep of the trip.
UC Davis will return to the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis center to face the host Portland Pilots Sunday afternoon in a 10 a.m. non-conference match.
Seattle vs. UC Davis
Feb 2, 2013 at Portland, Ore.
Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Will Toop/Zach Kosawe (SEA) 8-1
2. Kyle Miller/Alec Haley (UCD) def. Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SEA) 8-5
3. George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Kyle Rapp/Flavio Macagutti (SEA) 7-5 unf.
1. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Will Topp (SEA) 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Kevin Lynch (SEA) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Zach Kosanke (SEA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Jason Bediones (SEA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alec Haley (UCD) def. Kyle Rapp (SEA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Ian Clarke (SEA) 6-2, 6-1
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup