Feb. 2, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. --Visiting Loyola Marymount rallied from an early deficit, posting wins in the final three singles to escape Northern California with a 4-2 victory over host UC Davis on Sunday afternoon.
The loss dropped the Aggies to 0-4 overall on the season while the Lions swept their season-opening trip to Northern California to improve to 2-0.
Mother Nature had a hand in Sunday's contest, forcing a change of venue from the Marya Welch Tennis Center in Davis to indoor courts in Sacramento, Calif., where the Aggies rallied after dropping the doubles point.
Senior Kyle Miller drew UC Davis even with a straight-set victory at the No. 1 spot over David Doehring, 6-4, 6-3, and freshman James Wade put the Aggies ahead with a win at the No. 3 position. Wade, who moved into a tie for the team lead in singles victories with sophomore Brett Bacharach, improved to 12-5 overall and 3-1 in dual match play with a 6-5, 6-2, win over Cristobal Rivera to put his team up 2-1 in the match.
Miller snapped a personal four-match losing streak in singles with his victory, improving to 6-12 overall and earning his first dual match win of the year.
However, that's when the Lions clawed back for the victory. Bacharach and freshman Alec Adamson, who each posted first-set wins, lost marathon three-set battles at the No. 4 and No. 2 positions, respectively, before Daniel Simko defeated Parker Kelley, 6-2, 6-5, at No. 5 to clinch the match.
The Aggies return to the match next Saturday (Feb. 8) with a doubleheader at the Marya Welch Tennis Courts, welcoming Sonoma State for a 9:30 a.m. first serve before opening Big West Conference play at 2 p.m. against UC Riverside.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Loyola Marymount (2-0) at UC Davis (0-4)
Feb. 2, 2014 - Marya Welch Tennis Center (Davis, Calif.)
1. Sebastian Bustamante/Volmari (LMU) def. Adamson/ Adam Levie (UCD), 6-4
2. Bacharach/Wade (UCD) vs. Rivera/Van Kann (LMU), unfinished
3. Doehring/Simko (LMU) def. McKelvie/Miller (UCD), 6-1
1. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. David Doehring (LMU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 5-6, 6-5, 6-4
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU), 6-5, 6-2
4. Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD), 5-6, 6-5, 6-5
5. Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Parker Kelley (UCD), 6-2, 6-5
6. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) vs. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU), unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5