Feb. 3, 2013
PORTLAND - Competing in its third match in as many days, UC Davis suffered its first defeat during its current four-match, four-day road swing through Oregon as the Aggies fell 7-0 against the University of Portland Pilots in Sunday's non-conference match at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center.
UC Davis will enter Monday morning's match against Portland State with a 3-3 overall record, Portland improves its record to 4-1.
Brett Bacharach and George Horowitz came the closest to defeating the host Pilots in the round of doubles matches as the pair was leading 7-4 against Portland's Paxton Deuel/Kent Andreasen before their match ended prematurely.
Hugo Verdi-Fortin and Bacharach nearly forced a third set in their respective singles matches; against Deuel, Verdi-Fortin was unable to secure the service break needed in the second set to prolong his match. Bacharach experienced a similar situation in his singles match as he could not break Justin Guay's serve to force a tiebreaker in his second set.
UC Davis will end its road trip against Portland State on Monday, Feb. 4, in an 11:30 a.m. match at Club Green Meadows in Vancouver, Wash.
UC Davis vs University of Portland
Feb 3, 2013 at Portland, Ore.
(Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center)
University of Portland 7, UC Davis 0
1. Ratan Gill/Alex Ferrero (UP) def. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) 8-2
2. Michael Hu Kwo/Jackson Martin (UP) def. Parker Kelley/Alec Haley (UCD) 8-2
3. Paxton Deuel/Kent Andreasen (UP) vs. George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach (UCD) 4-7, unfinished
1. Ratan Gill (UP) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Michael Hu Kwo (UP) def. Kyle Miller (UCD) 6-4, 6-1
3. Alex Ferrero (UP) def. Parker Kelley (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
4. Justin Guay (UP) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-4, 7-5
5. Paxton Deuel (UP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jackson Martin (UP) def. Adam Luba (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards