Feb. 4, 2013
VANCOUVER, Wash. - UC Davis ended its four-day, four-match road trip in victorious fashion Monday afternoon, beating the Portland State Vikings 6-1 in a non-conference matchup at Club Green Meadows in Vancouver, Wash.
With the win, the Aggies end their four-day, four-match road trip triumphant in three out of four events to improve their overall record to 4-3. Portland State falls to 2-4 with the loss.
Winning both of their matches on the day were Alec Haley, Parker Kelley, George Horowitz and Brett Bacharach; combined, the group earned five of the Aggies’ six points due to their successful outing in both the doubles and singles rounds.
Kyle Miller was responsible for the other Aggie point, defeating Connor Gilmore 6-3, 6-4 in his only outing of the afternoon.
Bacharach and Horowitz were the first to complete their respective doubles match for UC Davis, downing Lukas Kortus/Brent Wheeler 8-3 to place the Aggies one step closer to taking an early 1-0 overall lead.
Unlike their last two matches vs. Seattle and at Portland where the duo led their doubles contest by two and three games respectively before play was halted, Bacarach and Horowitz were the first to secure a victory for UC Davis, earning ample time to prepare for their respective singles matches in the process.
Once Haley and Kelley capped their doubles match by defeating Stratton/Connor Gilmore 8-5, UC Davis took a lead that would remain in its favor for the rest of the day.
Playing at the No. 3 spot for the Aggies, Kelley earned the first of four straight set victories defeating Kortus 6-1, 6-1.
Haley and Horowitz completed the list of straight-set Aggie victors, defeating Cochrane 6-3, 6-0 and Zach Lubek 6-2, 6-2.
Tested early in his singles match, Bacharach rebounded nicely after losing the first set 2-6 against Wheeler. Securing the necessary service break to take the second set by a 6-4 margin, Bacharach pulled away in the final frame to cap his comeback effort with a 7-5 third set win.
UC Davis will return to action on Friday, Feb. 15, in a 1 p.m. match at San Francisco.
UC Davis at Portland State
Feb. 4, 2013 at Vancouver, Wash.
(Club Green Meadows)
UC Davis 6, Portland State 1
1. Antoine Bechmann/Abhinav Mishra (PSU) vs. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) 7-7, unfinished
2. Alec Haley/Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Stratton Gilmore/Connor Gilmore (PSU) 8-5
3. George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Lukas Kortus/Brent Wheeler (PSU) 8-3
1. Stratton Gilmore (PSU) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 7-6, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Connor Gilmore (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Lukas Kortus (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Brent Wheeler (PSU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Alec Haley (UCD) def. Wil Cochrane (PSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. George Horowitz (UCD) def. Zach Lubek (PSU) 6-2, 6-2