Feb. 6, 2003
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento State men's tennis team captured four singles matches to clinch the victory as the Hornets defeated UC Davis, 5-2, Thursday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
With the loss the Aggies fall to 0-4 on the season while the Hornets improve to 2-0.
Sacramento State began the day winning the doubles point by capturing two of the three doubles matches. At No.1, the Aggie duo of Greg Lee and Paul Dilloway came away with an 8-5 win over Matt Jones and Lewis Van Splunteren. Julien Chatelan and Jakub Sliva then defeated UC Davis' Kyle Trinosky and Ross Barasch, 8-2 at No.2 before the Hornets claimed the doubles point when Nick Sheehan and Peter Farkas cruised to an 8-0 win over Corey Lum and Tim Brown at the No. 3 spot.
In singles play, Lee continued his fast start to the dual match season as he defeted Jones, 6-2, 6-2 at the top spot. It marked Lee's fourth-straight dual-match victory and improved his record to 15-2 dating back to the fall season. Chatelan, playing in the No. 2 position, defeated Dilloway, 6-1, 6-0 and Sheehan won his No. 3 singles over Trinosky, 6-2, 6-3. UC Davis earned its other point when Barasch came away with a straight-set win over Sliva, 6-2, 6-4.
Van Splunteren won his match, defeating Derek Fung, 6-1, 6-4, at No.5 while Anders Albertsen dominated the No. 6 position with a 6-0, 6-0, win over Lum.
UC Davis will next be in action this Saturday when it hosts the University of the Pacific in the Aggies' home opener at Hickey Courts. Matchtime is set for noon.
Rio Del Oro Racquet Club
Sacramento State 5 def. UC Davis 2
February 6, 2003
1. Greg Lee (UCD def. Matt Jones (SAC), 6-2, 6-2
2. Julien Chatelan (SAC) def. Paul Dilloway (UCD), 6-1, 6-0
3. Nick Sheehan (SAC) def. Kyle Trinosky (UCD), 6-2, 6-3
4. Ross Barasch (UCD) def. Jakub Sliva (SAC), 6-2, 6-4
5. Lewis Van Splunteren (SAC) def. Derek Fung (UCD), 6-1, 6-4
6. Anders Albertsen (SAC) def. Corey Lum (UCD), 6-0, 6-0
1. Lee/Dilloway (UCD) def. Jones/Van Splunteren (SAC), 8-5
2. Chatelan/Sliva (SAC) def. Barasch/Trinosky (UCD), 8-2
3. Sheehan/Peter Farkas (SAC) def. Lum/Brown (UCD), 8-0
Men's Tennis edged by Sacramento State
Aggies prepare for three road matches
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup