LOS ANGELES -- UC Davis freshman Max Pham broke up the shutout bid by No. 9-ranked USC on Thursday night, posting a straight-set victory at No. 6 singles in the Aggies' 6-1 defeat at the hands of the Trojans at the Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles.
UC Davis fell to 1-3 overall on the season with the loss to a top-10 USC team in a match that was originally scheduled for Friday, but moved up a day due to rain in the forecast. The Trojans improved to 7-1 on the season with the victory.
Pham posted the first-ever win by an Aggie against USC after the Trojans had posted identical 7-0 wins during the 2014 and 2016 seasons. The sophomore from Newport Coast, Calif., who picked up the first dual win of his career in UC Davis' triumph over San Francisco, made it two straight with a, 6-3, 6-4, victory over Henry Ji to close out Thursday night's contest, improving to 2-2 in duals and 11-6 overall on the year -- the latter win total leading the team.
The Trojans opened by taking the doubles point from an Aggie squad that had claimed the point in each of its first three duals to start the season, surrendering only three points en route to the 1-0 lead. USC then posted straight-set wins in four of its five singles wins, save for a battle at No. 3 where senior James Wade rebounded from a first set loss to even things up against Thibault Forget, only to fall in a third set tiebreaker, 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4).
UC Davis looks to bounce back this weekend, heading to the University of San Diego to take on the Toreros on Saturday (Feb. 11) at 10 a.m., at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (1-3) at No. 9 USC (7-1)
Feb. 9, 2017 at Los Angeles, Calif. (Marks Tennis Stadium)
#9 USC 6, UC Davis 1
1. #32 Brandon Holt / Riley Smith (USC) def. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD), 6-1
2. Rob Bellamy / Jack Jaede (USC) vs. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD), unfinished
3. Nick Crystal / David Laser (USC) def. Alec Adamson / Everett Maltby (UCD), 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3*
1. #13 Brandon Holt (USC) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) - 6-2, 6-2
2. Nick Crystal (USC) vs. Alec Adamson (UCD) - 6-2, 6-2
3. Thibault Forget (USC) vs. James Wade (UCD) - 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Riley Smith (USC) def. Everett Maltby (UCD) - 6-3, 6-2
5. #97 Rob Bellamy (USC) def. David Goulak (UCD) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Max Pham (UCD) def. Henry Ji (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4*, 1, 3, 6
Current, future Aggies shine at ITA Summer Circuit event
Total of 53 Aggies honored as Big West All-Academic
Scemanenco commits to UC Davis Men's Tennis
Seven teams receive
NCAA Public Recognition Awards