SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Senior James Wade outlasted Sander Gjoels-Andersen in three-sets at No. 3 singles on Sunday afternoon, helping lift visiting UC Davis to its second straight, 4-3, victory over host San Diego State at the Aztec Tennis Center.
The win evened the Aggies' record at 3-3 overall on the season, defeating the Aztecs in the first-ever meeting between the two programs. San Diego State slipped to 3-4 on the season with the loss.
Sunday marked the fifth time in six matches this season that a UC Davis dual has been decided by a 4-3 score, as the doubles point proved crucial against the Aztecs. Wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles clinched an early lead for the Aggies as senior Alec Adamson and freshman Max Pham posted a 6-4 victory to tie things up, and the senior tandem of Bryce McKelvie and James Wade eked out a 7-6 triumph at the top spot for the 1-0 lead in the match.
After claiming the doubles point for the fifth time this spring, UC Davis moved quickly in singles to put San Diego State's collective backs against the wall. A win at No. 2 singles by the Aztecs' Milen Ianakiev tied the match before the bottom of the Aggies' lineup came through with a pair of straight set victories.
Junior Everett Maltby snapped a six-match skid with a, 6-4, 6-3, win over Joel Popov, and Pham made it 3-1 in the match with his fourth straight victory, defeating Rafael Gonzalez Almazan, 6-4, 6-2.
Three of the six singles contests went to three sets, and San Diego State was able to tie the match thanks to wins in two of those, bouncing back from first-set losses to win at No. 4 and No. 1. That turned the spotlight over to court three, where Wade and the Aztecs' Gjoels-Andersen were locked in a marathon three-set battle.
Wade opened with a 7-5 win in the first set before Gjoels-Andersen responded with a 6-4 win in the second, setting up a third-set tiebreaker that Wade won, 7-5.
The Aggies close out their season-opening road trip on Saturday (Feb. 18) at 1 p.m., with a short drive to Saint Mary's, before finally playing in front of the hometown faithful on Sunday (Feb. 19) at 10 a.m. against Nevada at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on campus.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (3-3) at San Diego State (3-4)
Feb. 12, 2017 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
UC Davis 4, San Diego State 3
1. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Marko Goles-Babic / Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU), 7-6
2. Santiago Cevallos / Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD), 6-4
3. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan / Joel Popov (SDSU), 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
1. Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 6-0, 6-1
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU), 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
4. Santiago Cevallos (SDSU) def. David Goulak (UCD), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Joel Popov (SDSU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Max Pham (UCD) def. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 3*