MORAGA, Calif. -- Visiting UC Davis won the doubles point for the sixth time in seven contests and took home straight set wins in three of its five singles victories on the day, dodging the threat of rain and cruising to a 6-1 win over host Saint Mary's on Saturday afternoon at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
The Aggies improved to 4-3 overall on the strength of their third straight victory overall -- and their third straight win over the Gaels -- in only the second dual to be decided by a score other than 4-3 this spring. Saint Mary's, which took its only point in a three-set battle at the No. 1 singles spot, fell to 3-3 overall.
In what has become a regular occurrence this spring, UC Davis jumped out to the early lead with a doubles point victory. Senior Alec Adamson and freshman Max Pham tossed a shutout at the No. 3 position before freshman David Goulak and junior Tommy Lam outlasted the Gaels' of Calvin Jordaan and Brian Lee for a, 7-5, win at No. 2 for the lead.
The Aggies then made quick work of their hosts to clinch the match, as Lam (6-2, 6-1) at No. 5, senior Bryce McKelvie (7-5, 6-2) at No. 3, and, reigning Big West Conference Athlete of the Week James Wade (6-4, 6-2) at No. 2, posted straight set wins to secure the victory.
Senior Eli Whittle finished off the Gaels' Manuel Lamelas, 6-7, 6-0, 10-8, for a fifth point, and classmate Jesse Ross took home a three-set, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4, win over Matt Campana at No. 6 for UC Davis' final point of the day.
With Sunday's match against Nevada postponed until April 19, the Aggies return to the court on Saturday (Feb. 25) at 1 p.m. in what they hope to be their home debut, welcoming Sacramento State to the Marya Welch Tennis Center for a Causeway Cup battle.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (4-3) at Saint Mary's (3-3)
Feb. 18, 2017 at Moraga, Calif. (Timothy Korth Tennis Complex)
UC Davis 6, Saint Mary's 1
1. Damon Kesaris / Nash Vollenweider (SMC) def. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD), 6-3
2. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Calvin Jordaan / Brian Lee (SMC), 7-5
3. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Matis Bot / Manuel Lamelas (SMC), 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Nash Vollenweider (SMC) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2. James Wade (UCD) def. Damon Kesaris (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Calvin Jordaan (SMC), 7-5, 6-2
4. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Manuel Lamelas (SMC), 6-7, 6-0, 10-8
5. Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Jacob Lagman (SMC), 6-2, 6-1
6. Jesse Ross (UCD) def. Matt Campana (SMC), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 3, 2*, 4, 1, 6
Tennis 'Pro-Am' fundraiser scheduled for September
Adamson earns first professional victory
Three Aggies Named to ITA Academic Honor Roll
Aggies shine on Big West All-Academic Teams
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards