PALO ALTO, Calif. — Before the Aggies faced a 4-0 defeat against No. 2 Stanford at the Taube Family Tennis Center, UC Davis duo David Goulak and Tommy Lam defeated the No. 27-ranked Stanford team Tom Fawcett and Axel Geller, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles to highlight the action that took place this Friday afternoon.
The UC Davis men’s tennis squad is now 4-9 for the dual season.
Unfortunately for the Aggies, the Goulak and Lam matchup was the only match victory scored over the Cardinal powerhouse, as the home team ended up taking both the doubles point, as well as the first three single match victories, to officially shutout the dual.
The UC Davis men’s tennis team returns to action next Thursday (Mar. 1) to participate in the Pacific Coast Doubles, a four-day tournament taking place in San Diego, Calif.
NCAA MEN’S TENNIS
UC Davis (4-9) at Stanford (9-1)
Fri., Feb. 23, 2018 at Palo Alto, Calif (Taube Family Tennis Center)
FINAL SCORE: Stanford 4, UC Davis 0
1) No. 36 Michael Genender/Sameer Kumar (STAN) def. Everett Maltby / Ivan Thamma (UCD), 7-6 (4)
2) David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. No. 27 Tom Fawcett/Axel Geller (STAN), 6-3
3) Timothy Sah/David Wilczynski (STAN) def. Arjith Jayaraman / Chethan Swanson (UCD), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*
1) No. 34 Axel Geller (STAN) vs. Ivan Thamma (UCD), 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
2) No. 91 Sameer Kumar (STAN) def. David Goulak (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
3) No. 120 Eric Fomba (STAN) vs. Everett Maltby (UCD), 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
4) David Wilcynski (STAN) vs. Tommy Lam (UCD) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
5) William Genesen (STAN) def. Mitchell Iwahiro (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
6) Michael Genender (STAN) def. Arjith Jayaraman (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6*
CONNECT WITH MEN'S TENNIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
UC Davis Men's Tennis Facebook Page
UC Davis Men's Tennis Instagram Page
UC Davis Men's Tennis Twitter Page
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley.
Ranked among the top 10 public universities in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal and U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 undergraduate majors across four colleges and six professional schools, including the world's top-ranked veterinary science and agriculture programs.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Tickets for all UC Davis sports are available by contacting the Athletics Ticket Office at (530) 752-AGS1, or by visiting us online at UCDavisAggies.com.
-- #GoAgs --
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors