Feb. 23, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. - A spirited and energetic crowd witnessed another classic dual between rivals UC Davis and Sacramento State in Saturday afternoon's Causeway match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center as a 3-3 overall score was snapped with a victory by the Hornets in the final match of the day to hand UC Davis the loss.
UC Davis falls to 4-6 with the result while Sacramento State improves to 2-5.
Led by Kyle Miller who earned a sweep of his matches, the Aggies captured the doubles point thanks to an 8-3 victory earned by Toki Sherbakov and Adam Levie. Miller and partner Adam Luba ended the doubles round with their 8-6 win to help the Aggies jump out to an early 1-0 overall lead.
Parker Kelley and Miller were the next to record match victories for the Aggies during the round of singles competition, both earned in straight-set fashion. Miller defeated Sacramento State's Sean Kolar 6-1, 6-3, with Miller dispatching Aliaksandr Malko 7-6, 6-4 to push UC Davis' advantage to a two-point cushion at 3-1.
Sacramento State would not let UC Davis capture its first Causeway Classic since the 2006 season, however, as the Hornets took the final three singles matchups to come-from-behind and escape with the win.
All three of those matches went the distance and needed a third set to declare a victor.
Sacramento State vs. UC Davis
Feb. 23, 2013 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 4, UC Davis 3
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 8-3
2. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Parker Kelley/Alec Haley (UCD) 8-1
3. Adam Luba/Kyle Miller (UCD) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-6
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 7-6, 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
4. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Adam Luba (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
6. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
Match Notes: Sacramento State 2-5 UC Davis 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,3,2,6,4,1)