Feb. 23, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. - A spirited and energetic crowd witnessed another classic dual between rivals UC Davis and Sacramento State in Saturday afternoon's Causeway match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center as a 3-3 overall score was snapped with a victory by the Hornets in the final match of the day to hand UC Davis the loss.
UC Davis falls to 4-6 with the result while Sacramento State improves to 2-5.
Led by Kyle Miller who earned a sweep of his matches, the Aggies captured the doubles point thanks to an 8-3 victory earned by Toki Sherbakov and Adam Levie. Miller and partner Adam Luba ended the doubles round with their 8-6 win to help the Aggies jump out to an early 1-0 overall lead.
Parker Kelley and Miller were the next to record match victories for the Aggies during the round of singles competition, both earned in straight-set fashion. Miller defeated Sacramento State's Sean Kolar 6-1, 6-3, with Miller dispatching Aliaksandr Malko 7-6, 6-4 to push UC Davis' advantage to a two-point cushion at 3-1.
Sacramento State would not let UC Davis capture its first Causeway Classic since the 2006 season, however, as the Hornets took the final three singles matchups to come-from-behind and escape with the win.
All three of those matches went the distance and needed a third set to declare a victor.
Sacramento State vs. UC Davis
Feb. 23, 2013 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 4, UC Davis 3
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 8-3
2. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Parker Kelley/Alec Haley (UCD) 8-1
3. Adam Luba/Kyle Miller (UCD) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-6
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 7-6, 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
4. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Adam Luba (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
6. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
Match Notes: Sacramento State 2-5 UC Davis 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,3,2,6,4,1)
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors