DAVIS, Calif. -- UC Davis junior Tommy Lam bounced back from a first set defeat to win the next two sets and clinch the match, helping the host Aggies to their fourth consecutive victory, a 5-2, triumph over Causeway rival Sacramento State on Saturday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The win bumped UC Davis to 5-3 overall on the season, winning its third straight in the series with their rivals and its 20th consecutive home victory dating back to the spring of 2014. The Hornets, who picked up wins at the top two singles spots for their only points of the day, fell to 5-6 in duals this spring.
A doubles point victory for the seventh time in eight matches this year gave the home team the early lead as David Goulak and Tommy Lam opened with a 6-4 win at the No. 2 spot, before the Aggies slugged out a pair of wins at No. 1 and No. 3 to sweep all three doubles matches for the first time this season. The tandem of Alec Adamson and Max Pham clinched the point with a 7-5 win at No. 3 over Dom Miller and Donald Hall.
The scene then switched to singles as Sacramento State evened things up with a straight set win at No. 1 before junior Everett Maltby put the Aggies back in front with a, 6-3, 6-3, victory over Christopher Clayton at the No. 4 spot. UC Davis' advantage was brief, however, as Miller brought the Hornets even once again with a win at No. 2, outlasting Adamson, 7-6, 7-5.
From that point on, it was all Aggies as Bryce McKelvie, who teamed with James Wade for a 7-6 win at the top doubles spot, outlasted Kasparas Zemaitelis, 7-5, 3-6, 6-0, at the No. 3 spot before Lam came through with the clincher, bouncing back from a 7-5 loss in the opening set against Louis Chabut, before finishing off the match with wins of 6-1 and 6-2 in the second and third sets.
Freshman Max Pham then finished off the match with a three-set win at No. 6, downing Donald Hall, 7-6, 5-7, 10-8, for his fifth consecutive victory.
The Aggies close out the weekend on the road, making the short jaunt to the Bay Area to take on No. 6 California on Sunday morning (Feb. 26) at 10 a.m. at the Hellman Tennis Complex in Berkeley, Calif.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Sacramento State (5-6) at UC Davis (5-3)
Feb. 25, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 5, Sacramento State 2
1. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Kasparas Zemaitelis / Mikus Losbergs (SAC), 7-6
2. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Christopher Clayton / Louis Chabut (SAC), 6-4
3. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Dom Miller / Donald Hall (SAC), 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
1. Mikus Losbergs (SAC) def. James Wade (UCD), 6-4, 6-2
2. Dom Miller (SAC) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 7-6, 7-5
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC), 7-5, 3-6, 6-0
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Christopher Clayton (SAC), 6-3, 6-3
5. Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Louis Chabut (SAC), 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Max Pham (UCD) def. Donald Hall (SAC), 7-6, 5-7, 10-8
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5*, 6