Feb. 26, 2012
DAVIS, Calif. - The UC Davis men's tennis team faced its second ranked opponent in as many days, dropping a 7-0 Big West contest to No. 53 Cal Poly on Sunday at the San Luis Obispo Country Club.
The Mustangs were led by the No. 22 singles player in the nation en route to sweeping all doubles and singles matches. The Aggies dropped to 3-7 on the season with a 0-3 mark in conference play while Cal Poly improved to 6-3 overall and 1-0 in league matches.
The Mustangs had an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles, as the team of Dome/Fawcett got past Hugo Verdi-Fortin and Kyle Miller. Cal Poly added wins at the No. 2 and 3 spots, despite Chris Aria and Toki Sherbakov taking four games off of Marco Comuzzo and Jurgen De Jager in an 8-4 loss.
No. 22 Andre Dome managed to down Sherbakov at No. 1 singles with a 6-1, 6-4 win. Alec Haley nearly took the opening set win over Naveen Beasley at the No. 6 position, before eventually falling, 7-5, 6-4. Chris Aria was able to win four games in each set at No. 3 singles, while Verdi-Fortin added three games in his respective sets.
UC Davis will be back in action next week, stepping out of conference play for a match at Saint Mary's on Saturday, Mar. 3 at 12 p.m. before hosting San Francisco on Sunday, Mar. 4 at 12 p.m.
Feb 26, 2012 at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
(San Luis Obispo Country Club)
#53 Cal Poly 7, UC Davis 0
1. #22 Andre Dome (CP) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-1, 6-4
2. Brian McPhee (CP) def. Kyle Miller (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
3. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Chris Aria (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
5. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. George Horowitz (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
6. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 7-5, 6-4
1. Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin/Kyle Miller (UCD) 8-1
2. Jordan Bridge/Brian McPhee (CP) def. Alec Haley/Josh Albert (UCD) 8-2
3. Marco Comuzzo/Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Chris Aria/Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 8-4
UC Davis 3-7, 0-3 BWC
Cal Poly 6-3, 1-0 BWC; National ranking #53