BERKELEY, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team continued its dominance in doubles play against one of the top teams in the nation on Sunday afternoon, jumping out to an early lead against No. 6 California, but the Golden Bears proved to be too much for the Aggies in singles, claiming a 4-1 victory at the Hellman Tennis Complex in Berkeley, Calif.
Facing its second top-10 opponent of the season, the loss snapped UC Davis' four-match winning streak as the Aggies moved to 5-4 overall on the year, falling for the first time since a 6-1 defeat at No. 9 USC back on Feb. 10. California improved to 6-1 on the season with the win.
For the eighth time in nine dual matches this spring, UC Davis was able to jump out to an early lead, earning wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Freshman David Goulak and junior Tommy Lam were the first to finish, posting a 6-4 victory over the team of Florian Lakat and Connor Heap, while the tandem of senior Alec Adamson and freshman Max Pham clinched the point by outlasting the duo of Bjorn Hoffmann and J.T. Nishimura, 7-5.
California then rebounded quickly, taking the first four singles matches in straight sets to clinch the match. Adamson and classmate Jesse Ross each took home first-set victories against their respective opponents, but both matches were halted when the Golden Bears claimed their fourth point.
Adamson, facing off against No. 26 Andre Goransson, opened with a 6-2 victory in the first set before Goransson responded with a 6-3 victory in the second, and was leading 4-1 before the match was halted.
Ross, meanwhile, outlasted Heap at the No. 6 position for a 7-6 (4) win the first set and was leading, 3-2, in the second before the match was stopped.
Sunday's match opens a lengthy road trip for the Aggies, which begins on Wednesday (March 1) at 2 p.m. at Fresno State -- a match that was originally scheduled for Jan. 21, but was postponed due to weather. UC Davis then competes at Loyola Marymount on Thursday (March 2) before opening play at the Pacific Coast Men's Doubles Championships in La Jolla, Calif., beginning Thursday and running through the weekend.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (5-4) at No. 6 California (6-1)
Feb. 26, 2017 at Berkeley, Calif. (Hellman Tennis Complex)
No. 6 California 4, UC Davis 1
1. Andre Goransson/Billy Griffith (Cal) def. Bryce McKelvie/James Wade (UC Davis), 6-4
2. Tommy Lam/David Goulak (UC Davis) def. Florian Lakat/Connor Heap (Cal), 6-4
3. Alec Adamson/Max Pham (UC Davis) def. Bjorn Hoffmann/J.T. Nishimura (Cal), 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. No. 20 Florian Lakat (Cal) def. James Wade (UC Davis), 7-6 (3), 6-3
2. No. 26 Andre Goransson (Cal) vs. Alec Adamson (UC Davis), 2-6, 6-3, 4-1... Unfinished
3. No. 80 Billy Griffith (Cal) def. Bryce McKelvie (UC Davis), 6-1, 6-1
4. Bjorn Hoffmann (Cal) def. Everett Maltby (UC Davis), 6-3, 6-4
5. J.T. Nishimura (Cal) def. Eli Whittle (UC Davis), 6-1, 7-5
6. Connor Heap (Cal) vs. Jesse Ross (UC Davis), 6-7 (4), 2-3... Unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 1*
Current, future Aggies shine at ITA Summer Circuit event
Total of 53 Aggies honored as Big West All-Academic
Scemanenco commits to UC Davis Men's Tennis
Seven teams receive
NCAA Public Recognition Awards