March 2, 2014
LA JOLLA, Calif. -- UC Davis' ninth-seeded duo of freshman Alec Adamson and sophomore Adam Levie teamed up to reach the round of 32 at the 125th annual Pacific Coast Men's Doubles Championships at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, before helping the Aggies to a 7-0 shutout of Villanova on Sunday afternoon in San Diego.
After winning their opener on Saturday, Adamson and Levie defeated Boston College's Jonathan Raude and Alexandre Thirouin, 8-4. The pair then ran into one of the tournament's top seeds in Max De Vroome and Kaes Van't Hof, battling the No. 1 seed before falling, 8-6.
De Vroome is currently a sophomore at USC while Van't Hof was a four-year letter winner for the Trojans from 2005-08.
First-day winners Adam Luba and Kyle Miller, as well as Brett Bacharach and James Wade, fell in their round of 64 matches on Sunday to close out their tournament run. Luba and Miller fell to Stanford's ninth-seeded pair of Daniel Ho and Robert Stineman, 8-4, while Bacharach and Wade were defeated in a marathon by Rice's eighth-seeded tandem of Gustavo Gonzalez and Bojan Szumanski, 9-7
Following tournament action, the Aggies returned to dual match play against Villanova, sweeping their way past the Wildcats en route to a 7-0 victory at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego.
UC Davis won eight of the nine scheduled matches on the day, opening by winning the doubles point with a pair of 8-2 victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions for a 1-0 advantage. The Aggies (5-5 overall) then won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, with Levie gutting out a three-set, 3-6, 6-5, 10-8, win over Tim Abbracciamento at the No. 5 spot.
Adamson, Levie, Parker Kelley, and Wade, all won both their matches against Villanova on the day as UC Davis posted its first shutout since a 7-0 win at UC Riverside on April 20, 2013.
Dual match play continues for the Aggies next weekend, traveling to Fresno State for a 1 p.m. match on Saturday (March 8) before hosting a doubleheader against Montana (10 a.m.) and Sonoma State (3 p.m.) to open a five-match homestand on Sunday (March 9) at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
125TH ANNUAL PACIFIC COAST MEN'S DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIPS
La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club - La Jolla, Calif.
ROUND OF 64
(9) Daniel Ho/Robert Stineman (STAN) def. Adam Luba/Kyle Miller (UCD), 8-4
(8) Gustavo Gonzalez/Bojan Szumanski (RICE) def. Brett Bacharach/James Wade (UCD), 9-7
(9) Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Jonathan Raude/Alexandre Thirouin (BC), 8-4
ROUND OF 32
(1) Max De Vroome/Kaes Van't Hof (Independent) def. (9) Adamson/Levie (UCD), 8-6
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (5-5) vs. Villanova (0-4)
Barnes Tennis Center - San Diego, Calif.
UC Davis 7, Villanova 0
1. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU), 8-2
2. Parker Kelley/James Wade (UCD) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-2
3. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD) vs. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (VU), unfinished
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Thomas O'Brien (VU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-2, 6-3
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Kelly Donaldson (VU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Tim Abbracciamento (VU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Adam Levie (UCD) def. Michael Rosengren (VU), 3-6, 6-5, 10-8
6. Mitch Thorp (UCD) def. Matt Colonnese (VU), 6-4, 6-2