March 4, 2007
DAVIS, Calif. -
Sophomore Michael Reiser outlasted Joel Kincaide in a 10-8 tiebreaker at No. 3 singles to post the only Aggie win, as UC Davis fell 6-1 to Portland in a non-conference men's tennis dual match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center Sunday afternoon.
The Aggies fall to 2-10 for the season. The Pilots, coming off a Saturday win against No. 72 Saint Mary's, improve to 7-4 overall.
Reiser dropped a close first set by a 7-5 final, then won the second set, 7-6, forcing the 10-point tiebreaker. Senior Michael Chin took his singles match to the single-game tiebreaker. He defeated Alex Strom in a 6-1 opening set, then fell 7-6 set. Strom then posted a similar 10-8 win to claim the No. 2 singles match.
UP swept all three doubles matches to earn the first team point. Filip Zivkovic and Colby Jager defeated Chin and junior Justin Garcia, 8-4, in the No. 1 position, while the Charlie Yemm/Alex Strom and Evan Schleining/Joel Kincaid pairings won the matches at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
In addition to the two tiebreakers at Nos. 2 and 3, two others matches went to split-set decisions. Zivkovic overcame a 6-2 loss in the first set to post wins of 6-4 and 7-5 over Aggie senior Jayce Fitch at No. 1, while Schleining prevailed in a topsy-turvy win over Kevin Liang at No. 6. Schleining won his first set, 6-2; lost to the UC Davis freshman by a 6-0 score in the second set, then won the decisive third set by a 6-0 final.
Sunday's Aggie-Pilot match was the second in a six-match homestand for UC Davis. The Aggies return to action on Friday to host Concordia.
PORTLAND 6, UC DAVIS 1
1. Filip Zivkovic/Colby Jager (Portland) defeated Michael Chin/Justin Garcia (UC Davis), 8-4
2. Charlie Yemm/Alex Strom (Portland) defeated Daniel Elefant/Jayce Fitch (UC Davis), 8-2
3. Evan Schleining/Joel Kincaid (Portland) defeated Michael Reiser/Simon Cheng (UC Davis), 8-4
1. Filip Zivkovic (Portland) defeated Jayce Fitch
(UC Davis), 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Alex Strom (Portland) defeated Michael Chin
(UC Davis), 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Michael Reiser
(UC Davis) defeated Joel Kincaid (Portland), 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Colby Jager (Portland) defeated Justin Garcia
(UC Davis), 6-4, 6-1
5. Charlie Yemm (Portland) defeated Henri Landes
(UC Davis), 7-5, 6-2
6. Evan Schleining (Portland) defeated Kevin Liang
(UC Davis), 6-2, 0-6, 6-0