March 3, 2013
SAN DIEGO - Starting its weekend with action at the Pacific Coast Men's Doubles Championship last Thursday, UC Davis continued its schedule in San Diego with a 7-0 Sunday afternoon victory over Villanova at the Peninsula Tennis Club.
The win improves UC Davis' record to 5-6 with Villanova remaining winless on the season at 0-4.
Participating in the first of consecutive matches against east coast competition, the Aggies will face Boston College Monday afternoon in a 2 p.m. non-conference match at the Northview Tennis Courts at head coach Eric Steidlmeyer and assistant coach Michael Meyer's alma mater, UC San Diego, before returning to Davis.
On an day that saw UC Davis capture two doubles victories by identical 8-6 scores, and five of six singles matches in straight set fashion, the Aggies won eight out of nine possible head-to-head matchups to post all seven team points.
Competing on minimal rest after advancing to the Rd. of 16 at the Doubles Championships, Kyle Miller and Adam Luba continued their winning ways by defeating Michael Rosengren/Tim Abbracciamento 8-6, before earning respective singles triumphs over Chris Seitz (7-6, 2-6, 10-8) and Abbracciamento (6-4, 6-3) respectively.
Also earning individual sweeps of doubles and singles matches played were George Horowitz and Brett Bacharach as they needed only three sets apiece to earn two victories over Villanova - one as doubles partners against Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (8-6), and individually against Michael Rosengren (7-5, 6-2) and Max Levine (7-5, 6-4).
Picking up the other two Aggie singles victories were Toki Sherbakov and Parker Kelley, with the former defeating Thomas O' Brien 6-3, 6-2, and the latter downing Ryan Peyton 7-6, 6-1.
UC Davis 7, Villanova 0
Mar. 3, 2013 at San Diego, Calif.
(Peninsula Tennis Club)
1. Thomas O' Brien/Kelly Donaldson (NOVA) def. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) 8-6
2. Kyle Miller/Adam Luba (UCD) def. Michael Rosengren/Tim Abbracciamento (NOVA) 8-6
3. George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (NOVA) 8-6
1. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Thomas O' Brien (NOVA) 6-3, 6-2
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Chris Seitz (NOVA) 7-6, 2-6, 10-8
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Ryan Peyton (NOVA) 7-6, 6-1
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Max Levine (NOVA) 7-5, 6-4
5. Adam Luba (UCD) def. Tim Abbracciamento (NOVA) 6-4, 6-3
6. George Horowitz (UCD) def. Michael Rosengren (NOVA) 7-5, 6-2
Match Notes: Villanova 0-4; UC Davis 5-6
Men's Tennis defeated by Cal Poly
UC Davis falls to UC Santa Barbara
Men's Tennis edged by Sacramento State
Aggies prepare for three road matches
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup