March 8, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team claimed the doubles point to jump out to the early lead, but host Fresno State responded with wins in five of the six singles matches en route to a 5-2 dual match victory over the Aggies on Saturday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Alec Adamson and Adam Levie at the No. 1 position and James Wade and Parker Kelley in the No. 2 spot got UC Davis on the board first with wins of 8-2 and 8-4, respectively. For Adamson and Levie, the win was the pairs' fourth straight as they improved to 16-6 overall on the season and 4-5 in dual match play at the top spot.
Playing together for only the third time this season, Kelley and Wade improved to 2-1 on the season with the victory, winning for the second-straight match.
However, the tide turned in singles play as the Bulldogs roared back to claim the match, posting straight-set wins at Nos. 4, 5, and 6, while gutting out three-set victories at the top two positions for the winning points.
Wade was the only Aggie to claim a singles win on the day, rallying back from a 7-5 loss in the opening set to defeat Eric Komati, 5-7, 7-5, 10-4, at the No. 3 position. Wade won for the seventh time in his last eight matches, improving to 18-6 overall and 9-2 in dual matches on the season -- leading the team in both categories.
UC Davis opens a five-match homestand on Sunday (March 9) at 10 a.m., hosting a doubleheader at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. The Aggies begin the morning with a dual against Montana at 10 a.m., before taking on Sonoma State at 3 p.m. in a match that was rained out back on Feb. 8.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (5-6) at Fresno State (5-7)
Fresno, Calif. - Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
Fresno State 5, UC Davis 2
1. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/John Darmstaedter (FS) 8-2
2. James Wade/Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Sam MacNeil/Alexandros Georgios (FS) 8-4
3. Ethan Lopez/Nikolas Papic (FS) vs. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD) unfinished
1. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Alec Adamson (UCD) 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Eric Komati (FS) 5-7, 7-5, 10-4
4. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Parker Kelley (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
5. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Adam Levie (UCD) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Adam Luba (UCD) 6-4, 6-0