DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team opened the second annual Golden State Invitational in impressive fashion on Friday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, posting a 6-1 victory over Saint Mary's for its third straight win.
The Aggies, who extended their home winning streak to 21 consecutive duals dating back to 2014, improved to 8-4 overall on the season, posting their seventh victory in their last eight spring duals overall to advance to the semifinals on Saturday. The Gaels fell to 3-6 overall, suffering their sixth consecutive loss.
UC Davis opened with a sweep of doubles, clinching an early 1-0 lead in the match with a win by senior Alec Adamson and freshman Max Pham, 6-2, at the No. 3 spot, keeping them perfect as a team this season at 7-0. Seniors Bryce McKelvie and James Wade brought home their 10th win as a duo with a 6-1 win at No. 2, while freshman David Goulak and junior Tommy Lam finished off the day with a 6-4 win at No. 1, improving to 7-4 in duals as a team and 13-6 overall this season.
All six singles matches were then decided in straight sets, with the Aggies posting victories in five of them en route to the win.
Wade won his third straight overall with a, 6-4, 6-2, victory over Nash Vollenweider at the No. 1 spot, earning his first win at the top of the lineup and team-best sixth dual triumph of the season. Junior Everett Maltby also picked up his team-best 14th win overall on the year, sweeping past Brian Lee at No. 4 by the scores of, 6-3, 6-1, while McKelvie clinched the win overall with a, 6-1, 6-4, win over Matthew Campana at the No. 3 spot.
Earlier in the day, Portland posted a 7-0 shutout of New Mexico State in its first-round match in Davis, moving them into the semifinals against UC Davis on Saturday at 2 p.m. It will be a rematch of last year's championship match won by the Aggies, 4-3.
Meanwhile, at 10 a.m., Saint Mary's will face New Mexico State with the winner advancing to the fifth-place match on Sunday.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Saint Mary's (3-6) at UC Davis (8-4)
March 10, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 6, Saint Mary's 1
1. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Damon Kesaris / Nash Vollenweider (SMC), 6-4
2. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Jackson Hawk / Brian Lee (SMC), 6-1
3. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Manuel De Luis Lamelas / Jacob Lagman (SMC), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3*, 1
1. James Wade (UCD) def. Nash Vollenweider (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Damon Kesaris (SMC) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-1, 6-4
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Matthew Campana (SMC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Brian Lee (SMC), 6-3, 6-1
5. David Goulak (UCD) def. Manuel De Luis Lamelas (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Daniel Krutik (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4, 3*, 1, 6