Golden State Invitational Tournament Central
DAVIS, Calif. - The UC Davis men's tennis team rebounded from a loss in the doubles point to take a 3-2 lead late in singles play on Saturday afternoon, but Portland rebounded from first-set losses to win in three at both the No. 2 and No. 5 singles positions to escape with a 4-3 win over the Aggies on Saturday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
UC Davis fell to 8-5 overall on the year, watching as its three-game winning streak -- and 21-match home winning streak dating back to 2014 -- come to an end. The Aggies will meet Causeway rival Sacramento State in the third-place match on Sunday (March 12) at 9 a.m. at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, while the Pilots, who improved to 8-1 with their fourth-straight win, will meet Grand Canyon in the championship match at 1 p.m. in Davis, Calif.
All three doubles contests finished with identical 6-4 scores, with the Portland tandem of Carlos Donat and Jamie Fisher defeating Alec Adamson and Max Pham at the No. 3 spot to clinch the doubles point for the Pilots. The Aggies' tandem of David Goulak and Tommy Lam posted their teams' lone win with a 6-4 victory at No. 2 over Pierre Garcia and Felix Fan.
Senior Eli Whittle made quick work of Jared Madison, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot in the singles lineup to bring UC Davis even, and junior Everett Maltby tied things up once again at 2-all with a, 6-4, 6-2, win over Donat at No. 4. Senior Bryce McKelvie then inched the home team ahead with a 7-6, 6-4, win over Pierre Garcia at No. 3 for a 3-2 lead in the match, but that's when Portland rallied.
After falling in the opening set, 7-6, Mathieu Garcia fended off Adamson at No. 2 singles for a, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, victory to tie the match at three-all, shifting the scene to court five where UC Davis' Pham was battling the Pilots' Fan. The Aggie freshman opened with a 7-6 win, but could not close out his opponent, who battled through for a 7-5 win in the second. Fan then jumped out quickly in the third, winning two of the first three games en route to a 6-2 victory to clinch the match.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Portland (8-1) at UC Davis (8-5)
March 11, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Portland 4, UC Davis 3
1. Mathieu Garcia / Michail Pervolarakis (UP) def. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD), 6-4
2. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Pierre Garcia / Felix Fan (UP), 6-4
3. Carlos Donat / Jamie Fisher (UP) def. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Michail Pervolarakis (UP) def. James Wade (UCD), 6-2, 6-2
2. Mathieu Garcia (UP) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Pierre Garcia (UP), 7-6, 6-4
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Carlos Donat (UP), 6-4, 6-2
5. Felix Fan (UP) def. Max Pham (UCD), 6-7, 7-5, 6-2
6. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Jared Madison (UP), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4, 3, 2, 5*