DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team wrapped up the weekend with a third-place finish at the second annual Golden State Invitational, shutting out Causeway rival Sacramento State by a 7-0 score on Sunday morning at the Marya Welch Tennis Center in Davis, Calif.
Rebounding from a 4-3 loss to Portland in the semifinals on Saturday, the Aggies improved to 9-5 overall on the season while posting their first shutout of the season. The Hornets fell to 7-8 overall on the year, finishing fourth in the tournament.
UC Davis swept through doubles with wins by the score of 6-3 at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, while the duo of David Goulak and Tommy Lam edged past Sacramento State's Mikus Losbergs and Kasparas Zemaitelis, 7-6.
The Aggies then made quick work of the Hornets in singles, winning five of the six in straight sets, with Adamson posting a, 6-4, 2-6, 11-9, win over Losbergs at the No. 1 spot. Goulak dropped only three games in his, 6-3, 6-0, win over Donald Hall at No. 6, as did junior Everett Maltby in his, 6-1, 6-2, win over Louis Chabut at No. 4.
Senior James Wade eased past Dom Miller at No. 2 by the scores of, 6-2, 6-3, senior Bryce McKelvie downed Zemaitelis, 6-3, 6-2, and senior Eli Whittle made his way past Christopher Clayton at No. 5 by the scores of, 6-3, 6-1.
UC Davis returns to the court on Saturday (March 18) at Noon, when they host Yale at the Marya Welch Tennis Center prior to breaking for final exams.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Sacramento State (7-8) at UC Davis (9-5)
March 12, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 7, Sacramento State 0
1. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Mikus Losbergs / Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC), 7-6
2. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Christopher Clayton / Hermont Legaspi (SAC), 6-3
3. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD) def. Dom Miller / Donald Hall (SAC), 6-3
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Mikus Losbergs (SAC), 6-4, 2-6, 11-9
2. James Wade (UCD) def. Dom Miller (SAC), 6-2, 6-3
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Louis Chabut (SAC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Christopher Clayton (SAC), 6-3, 6-1
6. David Goulak (UCD) def. Donald Hall, 6-3, 6-0
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors