March 14, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team cruised to its fourth-straight victory, claiming the doubles point and four straight-set wins in singles play en route to a 5-2 win over visiting New Mexico State on Friday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The host Aggies matched their longest winning streak of the season in improving to 9-6 overall on the year. UC Davis, which has won nine of its last 11 since opening the spring 0-4, also won four straight from Feb. 8-16 to reach the .500 mark for the first time this season.
NMSU had its record evened at 7-7 with the loss, claiming singles victories by Germain Degardin -- a three-set, 6-2, 4-6, 10-4, win over Parker Kelley -- and Liam Goldberg -- a 6-2, 6-3, win over Adam Levie -- at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively, for the Aggies' only points of the day.
UC Davis got off to the strong start as the team of Alec Adamson and Adam Levie took home an 8-3 win over Marc Westgate and Degardin at No. 1, while Brett Bacharach and Adam Luba battled New Mexico State's Strahinja Trecakov and Naveen Manivannan for an 8-6 win at No. 3 to clinch the doubles point.
The host Aggies then rolled relatively easily through their four singles victories to clinch the match. Adamson posted a, 6-3, 6-2, win over Trecakov at No. 1 for his fourth-consecutive victory, improving to 5-1 at the No. 1 spot for UC Davis, while freshman James Wade won his sixth-straight decision with a, 6-2, 6-0, win over Paul Denele.
Wade improved to 22-6 overall with the win and an impressive 13-2 in dual matches this season, moving to 3-0 at the No. 2 spot in 2014 and winning for the 11th time in his last 12 singles contests.
Bacharach posted a, 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 3 over Westgate for his third-straight win, improving to 19-9 overall and matching Adamson with a 9-5 dual match mark, while freshman Bryce McKelvie moved to a perfect 7-0 in dual matches with his, 6-4, 6-4, win over Patrick Pfister at No. 5. McKelvie has won eight straight overall in singles play dating back to the fall.
With final exams looming on the horizon, the Aggies will take some time off before closing out their five-match homestand on March 26 against Eastern Washington at 1 p.m.
New Mexico State vs UC Davis
3/14/2014 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 5, New Mexico State 2
1. Adamson, Alec (UCD) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Wade, James (UCD) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Bacharach, Brett (UCD) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Kelley, Parker (UCD) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
5. McKelvie, Bryce (UCD) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Levie, Adam (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
1. Adamson, Alec/Levie, Adam (UCD) def. Marc Westgate/Germain Degardin (NMSU) 8-3
2. Patrick Pfister/Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Kelley, Parker/Wade, James (UCD) 8-3
3. Luba, Adam/Bacharach, Brett (UCD) def. Strahinja Trecakov/Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) 8-6