DAVIS, Calif. -- UC Davis freshman David Goulak outlasted Yale's Dennis Wang in three sets for the Aggies' only point of the day as the visiting Bulldogs took the doubles point before taking four of their five singles wins in straight sets en route to a 6-1 victory on Saturday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
UC Davis fell to 9-6 overall on the year in its final match before final exams, not returning to the court until its Big West Conference opener on April 2 against Cal Poly. Yale won its eight straight dual, improving to 13-3 overall on the season.
Goulak rebounded from a first-set loss to sweep past Wang in the final two sets, shutting out the Bulldogs' sophomore in the second en route to a, 6-7, 6-0, 6-3, victory at the No. 6 spot. Goulak collected his 14th singles win overall on the year to stand tied for second on the team in that category, while improving to 6-3 in duals this spring.
Yale opened by claiming the doubles point with wins at the No. 3 and No. 1 positions, in that order, to take a 1-0 lead in the match, before winning the first three singles matches of the day to clinch the win. Six of the 14 sets played on Saturday went to a tiebreaker, including a pair in junior Everett Maltby's match against Stefan Doehler at the No. 4 spot, a match won by the Bulldogs' junior, 7-6, 7-6.
Eli Whittle won the first set of his match against Andrew Heller, 7-6, before falling 5-7 in the second and 10-3 in the third.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Yale (13-3) at UC Davis (9-6)
March 18, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Yale 6, UC Davis 1
1. Alex Hagermoser / Stefan Doehler (YALE) def. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD), 6-4
2. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) vs. Ziqi Wang / Dylan King (YALE), unfinished
3. Tyler Lu / Photos Photiades (YALE) def. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD), 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1*
1. Tyler Lu (YALE) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-2, 7-5
2. Ziqi Wang (YALE) def. James Wade (UCD), 7-5, 7-6
3. Dylan King (YALE) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 6-2, 7-6
4. Stefan Doehler (YALE) def. Everett Maltby (UCD), 7-6, 7-6
5. Andrew Heller (YALE) def. Eli Whittle (UCD), 7-6, 5-7, 10-3
6. David Goulak (UCD) def. Dennis Wang (YALE), 6-7, 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4*, 6, 5, 2
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards