March 25, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team posted its second shutout in as many days on Tuesday morning, sweeping all nine matches en route to a 7-0 victory over visiting Hawai'i-Hilo at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The Aggies finished their homestand with a perfect 6-0 mark, improving to 11-6 overall on the season and 8-2 at home. The Vulcans fell to 0-12 with the loss.
Due to weather concerns, the two teams opened with the six singles matches where UC Davis didn't lose more than three games in any of them, winning all six in straight sets to open the match. Sophomores Brett Bacharach, making his first start at No. 1 after winning his 20th match of the season against Eastern Washington on Monday, and Mitch Thorp posted shutouts in each of their first-set wins, extending their respective winning streaks to five and four, respectively.
Freshman Bryce McKelvie won his 10th-consecutive singles match, posting a 6-3, 6-2, win over Spencer Travalino, to improve to 9-0 in dual matches and 14-4 overall, while Parker Kelley and Adam Levie each claimed their 15th wins overall this season with straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 5 respectively.
Freshman Alec Adamson wrapped up the singles sweep with a 6-2, 6-2, win over Tom Greer-Smith at the No. 2 position to improve to 19-7 overall.
In doubles, the teams of Adamson and Levie along with Bacharach and Adam Luba had a relatively easy time in their victories by the scores of 8-2 and 8-1, respectively. Hawai'i-Hilo came the closest to a win at the No. 3 doubles spot before the tandem of McKelvie and Kelley eked out an 8-7 win over Travalino and Makoa Rosa.
The Aggies take a couple days off before making the trek to Reno, Nev., on Friday (March 28) for a clash with Nevada at 1 p.m. at the Caughlin Athletic Club. The Wolf Pack are 11-3 overall on the year after a 5-2 loss at No. 66 Stanford on Monday and a perfect 5-0 at home in 2014.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Hawai'i-Hilo at UC Davis
March 25, 2014 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 7, Hawai'i-Hilo 0
1. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Tom Greer-Smith/Kainoa Rosa (UHH), 8-2
2. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD) def. Kallen Mizuguchi/Daniel Tada (UHH), 8-1
3. Bryce McKelvie/Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Spencer Travalino/Makoa Rosa (UHH), 8-7
1. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Kainoa Rosa (UHH), 6-0, 6-1
2. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Tom Greer-Smith (UHH), 6-2, 6-2
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Kallen Mizuguchi (UHH), 6-2, 6-2
4. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Spencer Travalino (UHH), 6-3, 6-2
5. Adam Levie (UCD) def. Daniel Tada (UHH), 6-2, 6-2
6. Mitch Thorp (UCD) def. Michael Davis (UHH), 6-0, 6-2
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards