March 30, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. --After suffering its first loss in almost three weeks at Nevada on Friday, the UC Davis men's tennis team rebounded in a big way at home on Sunday, rolling past Big West Conference rival UC Irvine for a 6-1 victory at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The win improved the Aggies to 12-7 overall and 2-0 in league action, while the Anteaters fell to 9-12 overall and 0-3 in conference play.
UC Davis won seven of the nine matches on the day, including a pair of three-set victories in singles play. The Aggies opened with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, while holding a lead at the No. 1 position before the stoppage of play, to take an early 1-0 lead. Parker Kelley and James Wade defeated Jonathan Poon and Ryan Cheung, 8-3, while Brett Bacharach and Adam Lubahanded Caryl Hernandez and Justin Agbayani an 8-5 loss, putting UC Davis on top.
Singles play saw more Aggie victories as Wade, Bacharach, and Bryce McKelvie all posted straight-set victories at No. 3, No. 4, and No. 6, respectively. Freshman Alec Adamsoncame back from a second-set defeat to post a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, win over Ryan Cheung at the No. 1 position, while Parker also rebounded for a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, win over Shuhei Shibahara at No. 5 to help clinch the win.
UC Irvine's only point of the day came at the No. 2 position as Tyler Pham defeated Kyle Millerin straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. The match marked Miller's return to the Aggies' lineup after missing the last month's worth of duals due to injury.
Wade extended his team-best winning streak to eight consecutive singles contests, improving to 24-6 overall (15-2 in dual matches) on the season, while Bacharach won his sixth straight match (22-9 overall, 12-5 in duals). With his victory, Adamson improved to 7-2 at the No. 1 position and became the third Aggie to win 20 matches this season, improving to 20-8 overall and 12-6 in dual matches.
Sunday's contest marked the first of three straight at home for UC Davis as the homestand continues on Tuesday (April 1) with another Big West clash against Hawai'i at 1 p.m., before Air Force comes to town on Saturday (April 5) at 11 a.m.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Irvine (9-12, 0-3) at UC Davis (12-7, 2-0)
March 30, 2014 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 6, UC Irvine 1
1. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD) vs. Tyler Pham/Jonathan Hammel (UCI), unfinished
2. Parker Kelley/James Wade (UCD) def. Jonathan Poon/Ryan Cheung (UCI), 8-3
3. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD) def. Caryl Hernandez/Justin Agbayani (UCI), 8-5
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Kyle Miller (UCD), 6-1, 6-1
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Rafael Davidian (UCI), 6-3, 7-6
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI), 6-3, 6-0
5. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI), 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
6. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Caryl Hernandez (UCI), 6-3, 6-1