April 2, 2014
GOLD RIVER, Calif. -- Battling through three power outages late into the night and early into Wednesday morning, the UC Davis men's tennis team fought visiting Hawai'i to the bitter end before falling, 4-3, at the Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center in Gold River, Calif.
The loss dropped the Aggies to 12-8 overall and 2-1 in Big West Conference play while the Rainbow Warriors improved to 5-10 overall and 2-0 in league action.
In a match that began at 9:45 p.m. after rain forced the two teams indoors, UC Davis and Hawai'i burned the midnight oil, splitting the six singles contests to start the dual.
Freshman James Wade and sophomore Brett Bacharach each claimed straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 4, defeating Chas Okamoto (6-4, 6-3) and Danilo Casanova (6-3, 6-4), respectively. Freshman Bryce McKelvie added a third win at the No. 6 spot, rallying to hand Carter Lam a, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, loss.
That sent the two teams back to the courts for the pivotal doubles point and the Aggies got off to a solid start as Bacharach and Adam Luba teamed up for an 8-3 win at No. 3 over Okamoto and Chris Meyer, improving to 7-0 overall on the season as a doubles team.
However, that proved to be the last victory for UC Davis on the night as Jonathan Brooklyn and Lam posted an 8-3 win at No. 2 before Nils Schuhmann and David Schuster clinched the win for Hawai'i with an 8-5 victory at No. 1, finally ending the match at 2:30 a.m.
Wade's win at No. 3 singles was his ninth straight, improving him to 25-6 overall and 16-2 in dual matches this season. Bacharach also extended his winning streak in singles to seven straight with his win at No. 4, moving to 23-9 overall and 13-5 in duals, while McKelvie moved to 11-1 in duals this season (16-5 overall) with his singles victory.
The Aggies return to the Marya Welch Tennis Center for their home finale on Saturday (April 5) at 11 a.m., welcoming Air Force to Northern California.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Hawai'i at UC Davis
April 1, 2014 - Gold River, Calif. (Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center)
Hawai'i 4, UC Davis 3
1. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. Nils Schuhmann (UH) def. Kyle Miller (UCD), 6-2, 6-3
3. James Wade (UCD) def. Chas Okamoto (UH), 6-4, 6-3
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Danilo Casanova (UH), 6-3, 6-4
5. David Schuster (UH) def. Parker Kelley (UCD), 7-6, 6-3
6. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Carter Lam (UH), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Nils Schuhmann/David Schuster (UH) def. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD), 8-5
2. Jonathan Brooklyn/Carter Lam (UH) def. Parker Kelley/James Wade (UCD), 8-3
3. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD) def. Chas Okamoto/Chris Meyer (UH), 8-3
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards