DAVIS, Calif. -- Fresh off an upset over a nationally ranked program in its Big West Conference opener just 24 hours earlier, the UC Davis men's tennis team continued to roll on Monday afternoon, handing visiting Hawai'i a 6-1 defeat to remain perfect in league play at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The Aggies improved to 11-6 overall and 2-0 in league play, winning their third consecutive contest in the series against the Rainbow Warriors. Hawai'i, which got a singles win by Felix Albert for its lone point of the day, fell to 1-12 overall and 0-3 in conference matches.
UC Davis made quick work of its opponents in doubles to take an early 1-0 lead, surrendering only one game in the two completed matches. Senior Alec Adamson and junior Tommy Lam pitched a shutout, 6-0, at the No. 2 spot, while junior Everett Maltby and freshman Max Pham posted a 6-1 win at No. 3.
Straight set victories in all five of their singles wins then followed as Lam at No. 6, senior Bryce McKelvie at No. 3, and senior Eli Whittle got the Aggies to the necessary four points, the latter of whom posting a, 6-2, 6-2, victory over Spencer Travalino at the No. 5 spot in the lineup to clinch the victory.
Adamson followed with a 6-2, 6-3, win over Igor Kolaric at No. 1, and Maltby wrapped up the day with a 6-1, 6-0, victory over Marcel Chan at No. 4.
UC Davis has two home matches remaining on its schedule this spring, the first of which comes against defending Big West champion UC Santa Barbara on April 8 at 1 p.m. at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. The Gauchos enter the match having won their last five straight contests and are 1-0 in conference play with a 7-0 win over Hawai'i back on Jan. 15.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Hawai'i (1-12, 0-3) at UC Davis (11-6, 2-0)
April 3, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 6, Hawai'i 1
1. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) vs. Felix Albert / Marcel Chan (UH), unfinished
2. Alec Adamson / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Igor Kolaric / Fabian Woehrl (UH), 6-0
3. Everett Maltby / Max Pham (UCD) def. Spencer Travalino / Chris Cajigan (UH), 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3*
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Igor Kolaric (UH), 6-2, 6-3
2. Felix Albert (UH) def. James Wade (UCD), 2-6, 7-5, 10-6
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Fabian Woehrl (UH), 6-1, 6-0
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Marcel Chan (UH), 6-2, 6-4
5. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Spencer Travalino (UH), 6-2, 6-2
6. Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Chris Cajigan (UH), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 5*, 1, 4, 2