April 5, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team sent out its seniors in style on Saturday afternoon, rebounding from a loss in doubles to take four of the six singles matches on the day and edge visiting Air Force, 4-3, at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
The Aggies improved to 13-8 overall on the season with the victory and finishing off the season with an 11-3 mark at home for the 2014 campaign. The Falcons, who were shutout by Pacific in the opening match of their California road trip on Friday, fell to 12-7 overall with the loss.
A hotly contested doubles point gave Air Force the early lead as the UC Davis tandem of Parker Kelley and James Wade gave the Aggies their lone doubles with an 8-3 win over Andy Jackson and Andrew Parks. However, the Falcons outlasted the home side with a pair of 8-6 wins at both No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take the point.
That left it up to UC Davis in singles, where the home team got wins at the top three spots -- including the match-clincher by senior captain Kyle Miller on "Senior Day" -- and a win by Kelley at No. 5 to take the match. All six singles contests were decided in straight sets, including Miller, who snapped a three-match losing skid and earned his first win since returning from injury by defeating Jack McCullers, 6-2, 7-6.
Kelley posted a 6-4, 6-1, win over Grant Taylor, while freshmen Alec Adamson (6-0, 6-3) and James Wade (6-3, 6-3) added easy wins at the top two spots over Andy Jackson and Steven Young, respectively. For Wade, it was his 10th consecutive win, including improving to 17-2 in duals this season and an unblemished 5-0 at No. 2 singles this season.
UC Davis takes to the road for its final Big West Conference contests of the season next weekend heading to California's Central Coast for back-to-back matches at UC Santa Barbara (April 11) and Cal Poly (April 12). Those will be the final tune-ups for the Aggies prior to the start of the Big West Conference Championships to be held from April 24-27 in Indian Wells, Calif.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Air Force (12-7) at UC Davis (13-8)
April 5, 2014 - Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 4, Air Force 3
1. Jack McCullers/Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD), 8-6
2. Parker Kelley/James Wade (UCD) def. Andy Jackson/Andrew Parks (AF), 8-3
3. Grant Taylor/Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD), 8-6
1. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Andy Jackson (AF), 6-0, 6-3
2. James Wade (UCD) def. Steven Young (AF), 6-3, 6-3
3. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Jack McCullers (AF), 6-2, 7-6
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD), 7-5, 7-6
5. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Grant Taylor (AF), 6-4, 6-1
6. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 6-1, 6-3