April 11, 2014
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- UC Davis senior Kyle Miller and freshman Bryce McKelvie each posted wins in singles, but host UC Santa Barbara got out quickly with a doubles point win and rolled to a 5-2 victory over the Aggies on Friday afternoon in Santa Barbara.
The loss dropped UC Davis to 13-9 overall and 2-2 in Big West Conference play, while the Gauchos remained unbeaten in the conference (3-0) while improving to 8-12 overall.
Miller and McKelvie both won marathon three-set contests for the Aggies points on the day. Miller rallied for a 6-2, 3-6, 10-8, victory over Sasha Gryaznov at No. 3, while McKelvie came back for a 7-5, 1-6, 13-11, victory over Miles Seemann at No. 6.
UC Santa Barbara swept all three doubles matches with a pair of 8-5 wins at No. 2 and No. 3 as well as a tight 8-7 decision at the top spot to take an early 1-0 lead.
The Gauchos quickly extended their lead to 3-0 with the first two wins in singles as Ziad Sultan ended UC Davis freshman James Wade's 10-match winning streak with a 6-1, 6-3, victory at No. 2, while Teague Hamilton defeated Parker Kelley, 6-0, 6-2.
Tobias Galskov then clinched the match for UCSB with his straight-set, 6-3, 6-1, win over Alec Adamson at the No. 1 position, before Erik Johnsson added a fifth point with a 6-1, 6-3, win over Brett Bacharach at No. 4.
The Aggies close out the regular season on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m., traveling up the road to take on Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (13-9, 2-2) at UC Santa Barbara (8-12, 3-0)
April 11, 2014 - Santa Barbara, Calif. (Rec Center Courts)
UC Santa Barbara 5, UC Davis 2
1. Tobias Galskov/Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD), 8-7
2. Erik Johnsson/Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. James Wade/Parker Kelley (UCD), 8-5
3. Teague Hamilton/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) def. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD), 8-5
1. Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 6-3, 6-1
2. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. James Wade (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
3. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB), 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
4. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
5. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Parker Kelley (UCD), 6-0, 6-2
6. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Miles Seemann (UCSB), 7-5, 1-6, 13-11
Two Aggie teams advance to round of 32 on day one
Men's tennis bested by Boise State
Doubles Tourney and Boise State dual awaits Aggies
Aggie tandem bests No. 27-ranked Stanford pair in dual
Men's tennis prepares to face
No. 2 Stanford
Thamma earns Big West
Athlete of the Week honors