April 12, 2014
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- Host Cal Poly took two out of three in doubles then battled visiting UC Davis to a split of their six singles matches, emerging with a narrow 4-3 victory over the Aggies on Saturday morning at the Mustang Courts in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
With the loss, UC Davis finished the regular season with a 13-10 overall record and a 2-3 mark in Big West Conference play, losing back-to-back matches for the first time since Feb. 1-2 against San Francisco (L, 3-4) and Loyola Marymount (L, 2-4), respectively. The Mustangs improved to 8-12 and 3-1 in conference action with the win.
In what turned out to be the difference in the match, Cal Poly opened the day with a pair of dominating doubles wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions by the scores of 8-3 and 8-4, respectively, to take the first point of the day and the early lead.
A marathon day ended with all six singles matches going to three sets, as the Aggies posted wins at all the even-numbered positions, but fell just short.
The Mustangs' Jurgen De Jager gave the home team a 2-0 lead with his win at No. 3 over UC Davis' Kyle Miller, but the Aggies rallied to tie the match with back-to-back wins at No. 4 and No. 2 by sophomore Brett Bacharach (4-6, 6-1, 6-2 over Corey Pang) and freshman James Wade (6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-3 over Marco Comuzzo), respectively.
Freshman Bryce McKelvie followed with a win at No. 6 to give UC Davis its first lead of the day, thanks to a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, victory over Naveen Beasley, but the Aggies were unable to find the clincher, as Ben Donovan rebounded from a loss in the first set to post a 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2, win over Alec Adamson at No. 1, and Matt Thomson clinched the match for Cal Poly, gutting out a 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-4, win over Parker Kelley at No. 5.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (13-10, 2-3) at Cal Poly (8-12, 3-1)
April 12, 2014 - San Luis Obispo, Calif. (Mustang Courts)
Cal Poly 4, UC Davis 3
1. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Alec Adamson/Adam Levie (UCD), 8-3
2. Devin Barber/Corey Pang (CP) vs. Parker Kelley/James Wade (UCD), unfinished
3. Ben Donovan/Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Brett Bacharach/Adam Luba (UCD), 8-4
1. Ben Donovan (CP) def. Alec Adamson (UCD), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. James Wade (UCD) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP), 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-3
3. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Kyle Miller (UCD), 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Corey Pang (CP), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Matt Thomson (CP) def. Parker Kelley (UCD), 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-4
6. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Naveen Beasley (CP), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles: 1, 3
Singles: 3, 4, 2, 6, 1, 5*
* denotes match-clincher
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards