April 16, 2011
IRVINE, Calif. - The UC Davis men's tennis team couldn't get on the board against No. 47 UC Irvine, as the Anteaters cruised to a 7-0 sweep on Saturday at Anteater Tennis Stadium.
UC Irvine won all three doubles matches and every singles match in straight sets. It was the third loss of the season to a ranked opponent for the Aggies, with two losses coming against Big West foes. With the win, the Anteaters improved to 15-6 on the season with a perfect 3-0 mark in conference play. UC Davis dropped to 4-10 for the year and 0-3 in the Big West.
The No. 1 doubles match featured a pair of nationally ranked teams. No. 42 Chris Kearney and Stephen Stage got the best of No. 46 Connor Coates and Nick Lopez with an 8-3 win. The loss was just the third of the season for the pairing of Coates/Lopez. UC Irvine went on to sweep the doubles matches, taking 8-2 and 8-4 wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions, respectively.
Shan Sondhu set the tone in singles competition, posting the first win with a shutout 6-0, 6-0 defeat of Kyle Miller at the No. 4 position. No. 40-ranked Kearney followed with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Lopez in No.1 singles. The remaining Anteaters also won in straight sets, including a clinching win at No. 6 singles, where Stephen Stege defeated George Horowitz, 6-2, 6-3.
UC Davis will look to bounce back with another Big West match tomorrow, playing UC Riverside at 12 p.m.
UC Davis vs. UC Irvine
Apr. 16, 2011 at Irvine, Calif.
(Anteater Tennis Stadium)
#47 UC Irvine 7, UC Davis 0
(1) No. 42 Kearney/Stege (UCI) def. No. 46 Coates/Lopez (UCD) 8-3
(2) Cheung/Matthews (UCI) def. Miller/Sherbakov (UCD) 8-2
(3) Kazarian/Sondhu (UCI) def. Albert/Hallchurch (UCD) 8-4
(1) No. 40 Chris Kearney (UCI) def. Nick Lopez (UCD) 6-0, 6-3
(2) Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-1, 7-5
(3) Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Connor Coates (UCD) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
(4) Shan Sondhu (UCI) def. Kyle Miller (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
(5) Ryan Mayer (UCI) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
(6) Stephen Stege (UCI) def. George Horowitz (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3
Men's Tennis edged by Sacramento State
Aggies prepare for three road matches
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup