April 19, 2013
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Kyle Miller pulled out a thrilling three-set win at No. 2 singles and the UC Davis men's tennis team won, 4-3, at Loyola Marymount on Friday afternoon in its final non-conference match of the 2013 season.
The Aggies (7-11) will close out the regular season this weekend with Big West matches at UC Riverside and UC Irvine, but on Friday it was all about the Lions.
UC Davis claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2, where Miller and Adam Luba took down Todd Volmari and Felix Van Kann, 8-4.
In singles play, the Aggies got straight set wins from Hugo Verdi-Fortin at No. 5 and George Horowitz at No. 6 but, after Toki Sherbakov lost in three sets at No. 1, it all came down to Miller at No. 2.
Miller won the first set, 6-1, over LMU's Sebastian Bustamante, but dropped the second set, 3-6. The pair battled to a 7-6 third set but Miller eventually won out, 8-6, in the tiebreaker.
The win snapped the Aggies' five-match losing streak.
Tennis Match Results
UC Davis vs Loyola Marymount
Apr 19, 2013 at Los Angeles, Calif.
(LMU Tennis Center)
UC Davis 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1. Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. Parker Kelley (UCD) 6-4, 6-1
4. Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 7-6, 6-3
5. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. George Horowitz (UCD) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Nicholas Bjerke/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 8-4
2. Kyle Miller/Adam Luba (UCD) def. Todd Volmari/Felix Van Kann (LMU) 8-4
3. Daniel Simko/Jack Zapala (LMU) def. George Horowitz/Brett Bacharach (UCD) 8-3
UC Davis 7-11
Loyola Marymount 4-18
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,3,4,1,2)
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards