DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis senior class went out winners on Wednesday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, as the Aggies won the doubles point and took four of the six singles contests on the day to outlast Nevada in a 5-2 victory in their 2017 home finale.
UC Davis won for the third time in the last four duals, improving to 12-7 overall and winning its fourth straight in the series with the Wolf Pack. Nevada fell to 8-11 overall with the loss.
Freshman David Goulak and junior Tommy Lam wrapped up a 1-0 lead in the match with a 6-4 win at the No. 1 doubles spot, improving to 17-6 overall and 11-4 in duals as a tandem this season. That followed a shutout by the senior duo of Bryce McKelvie and James Wade, who blanked the Wolf Pack's Augustin Delahodde and Peter O'Donovan, 6-0, to kick-off doubles play.
Senior Jesse Ross at No. 6 and Wade at No. 1 then posted the only two straight set victories in singles play on the day, with the former defeating Jonathan Aremon, 7-6, 6-4, and the latter wrapping up a, 6-3, 7-6, win over Julien Evrard.
That left things up to senior Eli Whittle, who provided the clincher for the Aggies, bouncing back from a first-set loss to defeat Delahodde, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. Adamson wrapped up the day with a three-set, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, win over Kostya Nesterenko at the No. 2 spot for the final UC Davis point.
The scene now shifts to Southern California for the Aggies, who hit the road for their final two duals of the regular season in a race for Big West Conference Tournament positioning. UC Davis opens with a dual at UC Riverside on Friday (April 21), before heading into Orange County to take on UC Irvine on Saturday (April 22).
First serve for both matches is scheduled for Noon at their respective sites.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Nevada (8-11) at UC Davis (12-7)
April 19, 2017 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
UC Davis 5, Nevada 2
1. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Kostya Nesterenko / Mile Cilic (NEV), 6-4
2. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Augustin Delahodde / Peter O'Donovan (NEV), 6-0
3. Julien Evrard / Robert Margitfalvi (NEV) def. Alec Adamson / Max Pham (UCD), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*
1. James Wade (UCD) def. Julien Evrard (NEV), 6-3, 7-6
2. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Kostya Nesterenko (NEV), 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
3. Robert Margitfalvi (NEV) def. Bryce McKelvie (UCD), 4-6, 7-6, 10-3
4. Mile Cilic (NEV) def. Everett Maltby (UCD), 7-6, 2-6, 6-3
5. Eli Whittle (UCD) def. Augustin Delahodde (NEV), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Jesse Ross (UCD) def. Jonathan Aremon (NEV), 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5*, 3, 4, 2
Men's Tennis invited to 2018 ITA Kickoff Weekend
Aggies' incoming class ranked among top 15
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards