April 21, 2013
IRVINE, Calif. - The UC Davis men's tennis team dropped a narrow decision, 4-3, at UC Irvine on Sunday in its final regular season match of the 2013 campaign.
The Aggies (8-12, 1-5 Big West) split the six singles matches with the Anteaters (9-16, 5-1) but lost the doubles point.
UC Irvine clinched a share of the Big West regular season title along side Cal Poly with the win.
Kyle Miller won for the third straight match at No. 2 singles when his opponent, Tyler Pham, retired after the second set. Parker Kelley and Hugo Verdi-Fortin also won in singles play, at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively.
Miller's match was headed for a third set before the retirement, while the five other singles matches were decided in straight sets.
Kelley and Brett Bacharach won at No. 3 doubles when Pham and Jacob Jung retired while leading, 7-5.
Tennis Match Results
UC Davis vs UC Irvine
Apr 21, 2013 at Irvine, Calif.
( UC Irvine Tennis Stadium)
UC Irvine 4, UC Davis 3
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) vs. Tyler Pham (UCI), ret.
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Reo Asami (UCI) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-1, 6-4
5. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. George Horowitz (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Ryan Cheung/Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) 8-3
2. Justin Agbayani/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Kyle Miller/Adam Luba (UCD) 8-3
3. Parker Kelley/Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Tyler Pham/Jacob Jung (UCI) 5-7, ret.
UC Davis 8-12, 1-5 Big West
UC Irvine 9-16, 5-1 Big West
Aggies prepare for three road matches
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup