April 21, 2013
IRVINE, Calif. - The UC Davis men's tennis team dropped a narrow decision, 4-3, at UC Irvine on Sunday in its final regular season match of the 2013 campaign.
The Aggies (8-12, 1-5 Big West) split the six singles matches with the Anteaters (9-16, 5-1) but lost the doubles point.
UC Irvine clinched a share of the Big West regular season title along side Cal Poly with the win.
Kyle Miller won for the third straight match at No. 2 singles when his opponent, Tyler Pham, retired after the second set. Parker Kelley and Hugo Verdi-Fortin also won in singles play, at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively.
Miller's match was headed for a third set before the retirement, while the five other singles matches were decided in straight sets.
Kelley and Brett Bacharach won at No. 3 doubles when Pham and Jacob Jung retired while leading, 7-5.
Tennis Match Results
UC Davis vs UC Irvine
Apr 21, 2013 at Irvine, Calif.
( UC Irvine Tennis Stadium)
UC Irvine 4, UC Davis 3
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) vs. Tyler Pham (UCI), ret.
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Reo Asami (UCI) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-1, 6-4
5. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. George Horowitz (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Ryan Cheung/Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) 8-3
2. Justin Agbayani/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Kyle Miller/Adam Luba (UCD) 8-3
3. Parker Kelley/Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Tyler Pham/Jacob Jung (UCI) 5-7, ret.
UC Davis 8-12, 1-5 Big West
UC Irvine 9-16, 5-1 Big West