RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- The UC Davis men's tennis team dropped only one set on the day en route to its second shutout of the season as the Aggies swept past host UC Riverside, 7-0, in Big West Conference play on Friday afternoon at the SRC Tennis Courts in Riverside, Calif.
Winning its second straight, and the fourth in its last five matches, UC Davis improved to 13-7 overall and 3-1 in league play. The Highlanders fell to 14-19 overall and 0-4 in conference action, dropping their sixth straight meeting with the Aggies.
UC Davis went 1-2-3 in doubles, as the duo of David Goulak and Tommy Lam posted a 6-1 victory at the top spot, improving to 17-6 overall and 11-4 in dual matches this season, while seniors Bryce McKelvie and James Wade, clinched a 1-0 lead in the match with a 6-3 victory at the No. 2 spot. Senior Alec Adamson and junior Everett Maltby completed the sweep with a 7-6 win at No. 3.
The Aggies then took five of the six singles contests in straight sets, with Wade securing the victory thanks to a, 6-1, 6-2, win over Cooper Bridge at the top spot. Adamson was the only one extended to a third set, bouncing back from a 7-6 loss in the opening set against Kyle McCann, to post a, 6-7, 6-3, 10-6, victory to close out the day.
McKelvie became the first UC Davis player with double-digit dual match wins this season, earning his 10th with a, 6-4, 6-0, win over Nabil Abdallah at the No. 3 spot, while Maltby didn't drop a game with a, 6-0, 6-0, shutout of Tadeas Lansky at No. 4 for the Aggies' second point of the day.
Freshmen Goulak and Max Pham capped the scoring with straight set wins over Gilbert Chung (7-6, 6-1) and Anderson Ju (6-3, 6-6), respectively at No. 5 and No. 6.
UC Davis wraps up the regular season on Saturday (April 22) at Noon, traveling to Orange County to take on UC Irvine at the Anteater Tennis Stadium.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (13-7, 3-1) at UC Riverside (14-19, 0-4)
April 21, 2017 at Riverside, Calif. (SRC Tennis Courts)
UC Davis 7, UC Riverside 0
1. David Goulak / Tommy Lam (UCD) def. Cooper Bridge / Gilbert Chung (UCR), 6-1
2. Bryce McKelvie / James Wade (UCD) def. Nabil Abdallah / Anderson Ju (UCR), 6-3
3. Alec Adamson / Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Max Cohen / Kyle McCann (UCR), 7-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2*, 3
1. James Wade (UCD) def. Cooper Bridge (UCR), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alec Adamson (UCD) def. Kyle McCann (UCR), 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
3. Bryce McKelvie (UCD) def. Nabil Abdallah (UCR), 6-4, 6-0
4. Everett Maltby (UCD) def. Tadeas Lansky (UCR), 6-0, 6-0
5. David Goulak (UCD) def. Gilbert Chung (UCR), 7-6, 6-1
6. Max Pham (UCD) def. Anderson Ju (UCR), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1*, 5, 6, 2