April 27, 2012
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - The No. 5 UC Davis men's tennis team took its first-ever win at the Big West Championships in convincing fashion, surging for a 4-1 upset win over No. 4 Pacific on Friday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Aggies took two out of three doubles matches and quickly added three out of four singles wins en route to their first postseason victory since reclassifying to Division I and joining the Big West Conference. UC Davis advances to the semifinals, where they face top-ranked Cal Poly tomorrow at 11 a.m.
The Aggies improved to 6-15 on the season while the Tigers closed out their season with an 8-15 overall record.
UC Davis started with quick 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles, after Chris Aria and Alec Haley downed Pacific's team of Valentim Goncalves Jr. and Jai Grewal. The Tigers bounced back with a victory at the No. 1 spot before the Aggies wrapped up the opening point with a deciding victory at the No. 2 position. Toki Sherbakov and Josh Albert defeated Erik Cederwall and Alex Hamilton, 8-3, to take an early 1-0 advantage.
UC Davis continued its upset bid in singles play, starting with an Aria straight-set victory over Goncalves Jr., 6-1, 7-6 (7), at the No. 4 position. Hugo Verdi-Fortin had the Aggies within one point of the opening round win after downing Cederwall in the in the No. 3 spot, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Sherbakov brought home the clinching victory in the No. 1 spot, extending his match to three sets and winning by retirement against Castro, 6-7 (1)6-4, 1-1, ret.
The winner of the UC Davis-Cal Poly semifinal match will advance to the Big West Championship final on Sunday at 9 a.m.
UC Davis vs. Pacific
Apr. 27, 2012 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
Big West Championships - Quarterfinals
No. 5 UC Davis 4, No. 4 Pacific 1
1. Ivan Castro/Alexander Golding (UOP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin/Kyle Miller (UCD) 8-4
2. Toki Sherbakov/Josh Albert (UCD) def. Erik Cederwall/Alex Hamilton (UOP) 8-3
3. Alec Haley/Chris Aria (UCD) def. Valentim Goncalves Jr./Jai Grewal (UOP) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Ivan Castro (UOP) 6-7 (1), 6-4, 1-1, ret.
2. Alexander Golding (UOP) vs. Kyle Miller (UCD) DNF
3. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Erik Cederwall (UOP) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Chris Aria (UCD) def. Valentim Goncalves Jr. (UOP) 6-1, 7-6 (7)
5. Alex Hamilton (UOP) vs. Alec Haley (UCD) DNF
6. Jai Grewal (UOP) def. Josh Albert (UCD) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3, 1