April 28, 2012
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - The No. 5 UC Davis tennis team completed its season in the Big West Championship semifinal round, falling to No. 1 Cal Poly, 4-0, Saturday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Mustangs entered the match with a No. 63 ITA national ranking and the top spot in the conference. The Aggies couldn't add a second upset in the league tourney after advancing out of the first round with the first-ever program victory in the Big West postseason.
UC Davis finished its season with a 6-16 overall record while Cal Poly improved to 14-7. The Mustangs advance to the finals and will play the winner of the UC Santa Barbara-UC Irvine match tomorrow at 9 a.m.
Hugo Verdi-Fortin and Kyle Miller managed to take five games off of Andre Dome and Matt Fawcett in No. 1 doubles but the Cal Poly duo held on for the 8-5 win. Jurgen DeJager and Marco Comuzzo were able to secure the doubles point by posting an 8-4 win over Alec Haley and Chris Aria in the No. 3 spot.
The Mustangs continued to roll in singles action, allowing the Aggies to win no more than three games in five out the six sets completed. Dome started with a 6-3, 6-0 win at the No. 1 position over Toki Sherbakov while Sebastian Bell added a victory over Josh Albert in the No. 6 spot, 6-1, 6-3. Comuzzo provided the clinching victory by defeating Haley in the No. 5 position, 6-2, 6-4.
The Aggies advanced to the semifinals after taking a 4-1 victory over Pacific in the quarterfinal round.
UC Davis vs. Cal Poly
Apr. 28, 2012 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
Big West Championships - Semifinals
No. 1 Cal Poly 4, No. 5 UC Davis 0
1. Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin/Kyle Miller (UCD) 8-5
2. Jordan Bridge/Sebastian Bell (CP) vs. Toki Sherbakov/Josh Albert (UCD) DNF
3. Jurgen DeJager/Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alec Haley/Chris Aria (UCD) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Andre Dome (CP) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-3, 6-0
2. Matt Fawcett (CP) vs. Kyle Miller (UCD) DNF
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) vs. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) DNF
4. Jurgen DeJager (CP) vs. Chris Aria (UCD) DNF
5. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Josh Albert (UCD) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5
UC Davis falls to UC Santa Barbara
Men's Tennis edged by Sacramento State
Aggies prepare for three road matches
Men's Tennis edged by Brown
UC Davis welcomes Brown to campus
Aggies fall to Hawai'i in conference match
Aggies head to Hawai'i
for conference matchup