April 28, 2012
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - The No. 5 UC Davis tennis team completed its season in the Big West Championship semifinal round, falling to No. 1 Cal Poly, 4-0, Saturday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Mustangs entered the match with a No. 63 ITA national ranking and the top spot in the conference. The Aggies couldn't add a second upset in the league tourney after advancing out of the first round with the first-ever program victory in the Big West postseason.
UC Davis finished its season with a 6-16 overall record while Cal Poly improved to 14-7. The Mustangs advance to the finals and will play the winner of the UC Santa Barbara-UC Irvine match tomorrow at 9 a.m.
Hugo Verdi-Fortin and Kyle Miller managed to take five games off of Andre Dome and Matt Fawcett in No. 1 doubles but the Cal Poly duo held on for the 8-5 win. Jurgen DeJager and Marco Comuzzo were able to secure the doubles point by posting an 8-4 win over Alec Haley and Chris Aria in the No. 3 spot.
The Mustangs continued to roll in singles action, allowing the Aggies to win no more than three games in five out the six sets completed. Dome started with a 6-3, 6-0 win at the No. 1 position over Toki Sherbakov while Sebastian Bell added a victory over Josh Albert in the No. 6 spot, 6-1, 6-3. Comuzzo provided the clinching victory by defeating Haley in the No. 5 position, 6-2, 6-4.
The Aggies advanced to the semifinals after taking a 4-1 victory over Pacific in the quarterfinal round.
UC Davis vs. Cal Poly
Apr. 28, 2012 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
Big West Championships - Semifinals
No. 1 Cal Poly 4, No. 5 UC Davis 0
1. Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin/Kyle Miller (UCD) 8-5
2. Jordan Bridge/Sebastian Bell (CP) vs. Toki Sherbakov/Josh Albert (UCD) DNF
3. Jurgen DeJager/Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alec Haley/Chris Aria (UCD) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Andre Dome (CP) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-3, 6-0
2. Matt Fawcett (CP) vs. Kyle Miller (UCD) DNF
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) vs. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) DNF
4. Jurgen DeJager (CP) vs. Chris Aria (UCD) DNF
5. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Josh Albert (UCD) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5
Aggies add Tulane transfer for 2017-18
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards